No Ebola cases reported in India yet; government ramps up surveillance after WHO alert
The government on Wednesday said that no cases of Ebola have been reported in the country so far, according to sources cited by ANI.
The ministry of health and family welfare said that no case of Ebola has been detected in India so far, while adding that surveillance and preparedness measures have been strengthened nationwide following the WHO’s declaration of Ebola as a public health emergency of international concern.
A high-level review meeting chaired by union health secretary Punya Salila Srivastava was held with health secretaries of all states and Union Territories to assess preparedness and response measures related to Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).
During the meeting, states and Union Territories were advised to maintain preparedness at all levels. The Centre said detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine protocols, case management, referral systems and laboratory testing have already been shared with all states and UTs.
Srivastava stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and preparedness at designated healthcare facilities during the review meeting. The government said all concerned ministries and departments have been sensitised and are carrying out preventive and surveillance measures in coordination with the health ministry.
The ministry also noted that India has prior experience in handling such situations, including during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa, when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully.
The Ebola virus is highly contagious and spreads through contact with bodily fluids such as blood, vomit and semen. Common symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle pain and, in severe cases, internal and external bleeding.
WHO has declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern and raised concerns over its “scale and speed.” The WHO’s representative in Congo has warned that the outbreak could continue for at least another two months.
Health officials said the outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which reportedly spread undetected for weeks after initial tests for a more common Ebola strain returned negative results.
Investigations are still underway to determine when and where the outbreak began. “Given the scale, we are thinking that it has started probably a couple of months ago,” said Anaïs Legand, a technical officer in the WHO emergencies programme, as cited by AP.
So far 51 cases have been confirmed in Congo’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, along with two confirmed cases in Uganda. In addition, authorities are tracking 139 suspected deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases linked to the outbreak.
During the meeting, states and Union Territories were advised to maintain preparedness at all levels. The Centre said detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine protocols, case management, referral systems and laboratory testing have already been shared with all states and UTs.
Srivastava stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and preparedness at designated healthcare facilities during the review meeting. The government said all concerned ministries and departments have been sensitised and are carrying out preventive and surveillance measures in coordination with the health ministry.
The Ebola virus is highly contagious and spreads through contact with bodily fluids such as blood, vomit and semen. Common symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle pain and, in severe cases, internal and external bleeding.
WHO has declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern and raised concerns over its “scale and speed.” The WHO’s representative in Congo has warned that the outbreak could continue for at least another two months.
Investigations are still underway to determine when and where the outbreak began. “Given the scale, we are thinking that it has started probably a couple of months ago,” said Anaïs Legand, a technical officer in the WHO emergencies programme, as cited by AP.
So far 51 cases have been confirmed in Congo’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, along with two confirmed cases in Uganda. In addition, authorities are tracking 139 suspected deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases linked to the outbreak.
Comments (1)
F
Facts Speaks VolumesMost Interacted
10 hours ago
Don't be too anxious it will come to unhygienic india that's for sure. Your population will become half the size. India doesn't ha...Read More
Reply
0
1
Reply
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL 2026 Playoff Qualification Scenarios: With 5 matches to go, RR hold edge as PBKS and KKR chase the final spot — paths for each team explained
- IPL 2026 | Hardik Pandya left stunned after Robin Minz and Deepak Chahar's comedy of errors - WATCH
- NFL Trade Rumors: Dallas Cowboys linked to $22.5 million Minnesota Vikings star in potential defensive fix
- Patrick Mahomes comeback rumors spiral into chaos after latest rehab update leaves Chiefs fans unsettled
- NFL Trade Rumors: San Francisco 49ers and Chicago Bears could pursue $9M Washington Commanders linebacker
- NFL Trade Rumors: Kansas City Chiefs linked to Philadelphia Eagles' $12M WR after Rashee Rice setback
- IPL 2026: Mumbai Indians become second team in IPL history to ...
Featured in India
- From 'Melodi' camaraderie to strategic deals: Key takeaways from PM Modi’s Italy visit
- Heatwave alert for Delhi, UP, Punjab, Haryana and more: What to expect over next 5 days
- 'Bombs its own people': India slams Pakistan at UNSC, flags 'long-tainted record of genocidal acts'
- India's Permanent Representative to UN calls for protection of civilians during conflict
- Falta repolling: Voting under way in West Bengal's high-stakes seat amid tight security
- Ebola outbreak: Centre reviews preparedness as death toll crosses 100 in DR Congo, Uganda
Videos
- STORY FALTA REPOLL BEGINS
- TMC Alleges Post-Poll Violence, Harassment Of Workers During Kolkata Protest
- Modi-Meloni Talks Boost India-Italy Defence, IMEC And Technology Cooperation
- Modi-Meloni Talks Boost India-Italy Defence, IMEC And Technology Cooperation
03:35 'India Won't Tolerate Any Form Of Nuclear Blackmail': Rajnath Singh In South Korea03:21 Who Is Ryan Williams? Footballer Who Gave Up Australian Citizenship To Play For India04:22 Congress To Join Tamil Nadu Cabinet After 59 Years As Vijay Expands TVK Government05:53 India, Italy Elevate Ties; PM Modi's 'Melody' Gift To Meloni Goes Viral | Headlines@905:42 Parle Industries Shares Jump 5% After Modi-Meloni’s ‘Melody’ Moment, But There’s A Catch
Photostories
- Art quote of the day by Oscar Wilde: “God and other artists are always a little obscure”
- The body check: What dry, cracked heels can say about diabetes, thyroid, and health
- Thought of the day inspired by the Bhagavad Gita: "Sometimes surrender is greater than control."
- From turmeric to aloe vera: 5 most Googled Indian beauty ingredients of 2026
- 10 twin baby boy and girl names that are super cute
- They never smoked, but they got mouth cancer: What doctors want young people to know now
- Bella Hadid’s Cannes 2026 looks are a masterclass in quiet luxury glamour
- "Faltu khana na banaye, agar koi..." CM Yogi Adityanath urges people on being mindful while cooking: 5 tips on how to cook 'right' at home
- Morning affirmation at 5 am: What happens when your brain hears positive words before sunrise
- International Tea Day 2026: 6 culinary uses of tea leaves apart from making tea
Hot Picks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media