NEW DELHI: Ladakh-based activist
Sonam Wangchuk on Monday said the region is “hanging between trust and mistrust” due to delays in the next round of talks with the Centre, warning that the prolonged gap risks deepening divisions in the sensitive border region.
In a post on X, Wangchuk noted that more than two months have passed since the last round of dialogue on February 4, with no fresh date announced.
“People in this sensitive border region grow disheartened and demoralised,” he said, urging Prime Minister Narendra Modi and home minister Amit Shah to take “timely measures” to resolve the issues.
He also warned that the delay is allowing “shady entities” to “sow seeds of Leh-Kargil (Buddhist-Muslim) divide,” raising concerns over social cohesion in the Union Territory.
Detention revocation raised hopes, but talks stalled
Wangchuk pointed out that it has been a month since his detention under the National Security Act (NSA) was revoked on March 14, a move that had raised hopes of “building mutual trust” and initiating “constructive and meaningful dialogue”.
He had been detained in September 2025 following unrest in Leh, with the government citing law and order concerns.
His release came alongside assurances from the Centre about continued engagement with stakeholders in Ladakh.
Demands persist amid call for flexible dialogue
Ladakhi groups, including the Leh Apex Body, have been pressing for statehood and Sixth Schedule status, demands Wangchuk has said fall within the Constitution.
He has advocated a “flexible approach” in negotiations while urging both sides to avoid a “win-lose” outcome.
The earlier rounds of talks between Ladakhi representatives and a Union home ministry panel, including meetings in October and February, remained inconclusive, prompting calls for renewed engagement.
The government has said it remains committed to addressing Ladakh’s concerns through dialogue and mechanisms such as a High-Powered Committee.
It has emphasised the need to maintain peace, stability and mutual trust in the region.Also See:
Veteran singer Asha Bhosle passes away at age 92 - Check
Live UpdatesThe TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of jour...
Read MoreThe TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most."
Read Less