China carried out covert nuclear test days after Galwan clash in June 2020: US
NEW DELHI: The United States has accused China of conducting a covert nuclear explosive test on June 22, 2020, just days after the deadly Galwan Valley clash in which 20 Indian soldiers were killed, saying the allegation underscores the need for a new global arms control framework following the expiry of the New START treaty.
On June 15, 2020, a week before the alleged nuclear test, the Indian and Chinese troops clashed in Ladakh. Twenty Indian soldiers were killed, while reports at the time estimated Chinese casualties at over 35.
US Under Secretary of State Thomas G DiNanno said China used techniques designed to evade international monitoring systems while carrying out yield-producing nuclear tests.
"China has conducted nuclear explosive tests, including preparing for tests with designated yields in the hundreds of tons… China has used decoupling – a method to decrease the effectiveness of seismic monitoring – to hide its activities from the world. China conducted one such yield producing nuclear test on June 22, 2020," DiNanno said in a post on X.
The date cited by the US official comes a week after the June 15, 2020, Galwan Valley face-off between Indian and Chinese troops in eastern Ladakh. Twenty Indian soldiers were killed in the clashes, while intelligence reports at the time estimated Chinese casualties at over 30.
DiNanno’s remarks came as the New START treaty, the last remaining nuclear arms control agreement between the United States and Russia, formally expired this week, leaving the world’s two largest nuclear powers without binding limits on their strategic arsenals for the first time in more than five decades.
"New START was signed in 2010 and its limits on warheads and launchers are no longer relevant in 2026 when one nuclear power is expanding its arsenal at a scale and pace not seen in over half a century and another continues to maintain and develop a vast range of nuclear systems unconstrained by New START’s terms," DiNanno said.
He said the treaty imposed uneven constraints on nuclear powers.
"…almost all of the U.S. deployed nuclear forces were subject to New START while only a fraction of Russia's much larger stockpile was… exactly zero Chinese nuclear weapons were covered by New START," he said.
DiNanno said alleged covert testing by China, alongside Russian violations and the growth of global nuclear stockpiles, made it necessary to pursue a new arms control framework suited to present-day threats.
"This confluence of factors – serial Russian violations, growth of worldwide stockpiles, and flaws in New START’s design and implementation – gives the United States a clear imperative to call for a new architecture that addresses the threats of today, not those of a bygone era," he said.
He added that Washington was now in a position to strengthen deterrence while remaining open to meaningful negotiations.
"No longer constrained by the political-military circumstances of 2010 and the treaty they yielded and in response to the destabilizing behavior of these other countries, the United States can now finally take steps… to strengthen deterrence on behalf of the American people and our allies," DiNanno said.
The US has renewed calls for three-way nuclear arms control talks involving China and Russia following New START’s expiration. Washington has said any future agreement must include Beijing, a demand China has firmly rejected.
China has denied the US allegations of covert nuclear testing and has said it will not participate in disarmament negotiations at this stage, arguing that its nuclear arsenal remains far smaller than those of the United States and Russia.
US President Donald Trump had previously hinted at similar accusations without offering details. On October 31 last year, Trump said Washington would begin nuclear testing "on an equal basis" with Moscow and Beijing, without elaborating on the nature of such tests.
Analysts have warned that the end of New START marks a turning point in global nuclear stability, with the absence of formal limits increasing the risk of a renewed arms race amid rising geopolitical tensions and mistrust.
US Under Secretary of State Thomas G DiNanno said China used techniques designed to evade international monitoring systems while carrying out yield-producing nuclear tests.
"China has conducted nuclear explosive tests, including preparing for tests with designated yields in the hundreds of tons… China has used decoupling – a method to decrease the effectiveness of seismic monitoring – to hide its activities from the world. China conducted one such yield producing nuclear test on June 22, 2020," DiNanno said in a post on X.
The date cited by the US official comes a week after the June 15, 2020, Galwan Valley face-off between Indian and Chinese troops in eastern Ladakh. Twenty Indian soldiers were killed in the clashes, while intelligence reports at the time estimated Chinese casualties at over 30.
Allegations surface as New START expires
DiNanno’s remarks came as the New START treaty, the last remaining nuclear arms control agreement between the United States and Russia, formally expired this week, leaving the world’s two largest nuclear powers without binding limits on their strategic arsenals for the first time in more than five decades.
"New START was signed in 2010 and its limits on warheads and launchers are no longer relevant in 2026 when one nuclear power is expanding its arsenal at a scale and pace not seen in over half a century and another continues to maintain and develop a vast range of nuclear systems unconstrained by New START’s terms," DiNanno said.
He said the treaty imposed uneven constraints on nuclear powers.
"…almost all of the U.S. deployed nuclear forces were subject to New START while only a fraction of Russia's much larger stockpile was… exactly zero Chinese nuclear weapons were covered by New START," he said.
US presses for new nuclear architecture
DiNanno said alleged covert testing by China, alongside Russian violations and the growth of global nuclear stockpiles, made it necessary to pursue a new arms control framework suited to present-day threats.
"This confluence of factors – serial Russian violations, growth of worldwide stockpiles, and flaws in New START’s design and implementation – gives the United States a clear imperative to call for a new architecture that addresses the threats of today, not those of a bygone era," he said.
He added that Washington was now in a position to strengthen deterrence while remaining open to meaningful negotiations.
"No longer constrained by the political-military circumstances of 2010 and the treaty they yielded and in response to the destabilizing behavior of these other countries, the United States can now finally take steps… to strengthen deterrence on behalf of the American people and our allies," DiNanno said.
Push for three-way talks with China
The US has renewed calls for three-way nuclear arms control talks involving China and Russia following New START’s expiration. Washington has said any future agreement must include Beijing, a demand China has firmly rejected.
China has denied the US allegations of covert nuclear testing and has said it will not participate in disarmament negotiations at this stage, arguing that its nuclear arsenal remains far smaller than those of the United States and Russia.
Trump had hinted at testing earlier
US President Donald Trump had previously hinted at similar accusations without offering details. On October 31 last year, Trump said Washington would begin nuclear testing "on an equal basis" with Moscow and Beijing, without elaborating on the nature of such tests.
Analysts have warned that the end of New START marks a turning point in global nuclear stability, with the absence of formal limits increasing the risk of a renewed arms race amid rising geopolitical tensions and mistrust.
Top Comment
P
Peer Seer
14 hours ago
One more test done on 6th Feb 2026Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Was Jeffrey Epstein trying to cozy up to Russian President Putin? What files reveal
- Saudi Arabia cracks down: Over 20,000 arrested for residency, labour and border law violations
- ‘Keeping Indian wife happy’: Row over Republican congressman saying Texans go to malls and ‘feel like they’re in Pakistan’
- Japan snap elections: PM Sanae Takaichi’s LDP secures majority in lower house - top developments
- Epstein wanted to impregnate 20 women at once to create 'super race' using his DNA
end of article
Trending Stories
- Who is Robert Kraft’s wife? Everything to know about the Patriots owner’s wife Dana Blumberg and their 33 year age-gap marriage
- Is Kaylee Hartung married or single? What we know about the TNF reporter’s personal and dating life
- Will Drake Maye play against the Seattle Seahawks tonight? Latest injury update on the popular New England Patriots quarterback
- “It feels like a lot”: Cooper Kupp’s wife Anna Marie opens up about the emotional state of the star player hours ahead of Super Bowl 2026
- NFL Super Bowl LX US, UK, India, Brazil, Mexico start timings, how to watch, date, venue, streaming options, and more
- Full List of Celebrities Attending the Super Bowl 2026 Featuring Cardi B, Stefon Diggs, Ben Affleck and More
- How to watch NFL Super Bowl 2026 on mobile, start timings, live streaming, date, and more
Featured in world
- Apps to boycott US goods gain traction amid Trump's threats to Greenland
- StableRonaldo sparks controversy after pointing gun on IRL stream
- 99% of jobs could vanish by 2027 – only 5 types may survive, warns AI expert
- ‘America’s elections are rigged, stolen’: Trump renews claims, warns US must fix system or lose country
- From remembrance to ashes: Memorial for 41 victims of Swiss nightclub fire goes up in flames
- Australia moves to ban pro-Palestinian slogan under law carrying up to 2 years in jail
Photostories
- 5 Vastu-approved plants you should bring home today for prosperity
- 5 effective ways to keep spiders away from your home and garden (third is a magical remedy!)
- Top 6 cheapest destinations to travel in India in 2026
- 8 types of kadhi from across India to try for lunch
- Scarlett Johansson net worth: Inside the USD 165 million fortune of Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’ star
- From Bad Bunny, Green Day to Charlie Puth: Full list of Super Bowl 60 performers
- From a massive living room to lavish bedrooms: A look at Samay Raina’s luxurious house
- PM Narendra Modi’s Panch Prana goal and the role of Shatavari and it’s importance in traditional Indian kitchens
- 7 warning signs of structural defects every homeowner should know
- ‘The Fame Game’, ‘Mrs. Deshpande’, ‘Maa Behen’: Madhuri Dixit Nene’s evolving OTT journey
Videos
10:36 On Cam: Trump ‘Grabs’ College Student On Stage, Pulls Her In, Then Forces Her To Kiss In Viral Video10:14 NBC Journo Pleads For Mom’s Return As Feb 9 Deadline Haunts Family | Nancy Guthrie Case06:27 'Do You Know How Much ICE Is Spending?': Scott Bessent Clashes With Rep Garcia | Watch07:54 Meloni Brands Olympics Rioters ‘ENEMIES OF ITALY’ Amid Dangerous Street War In Milan | Watch05:49 ‘US Is Our Enemy…’: Anger In NATO Nation Over Trump's Greenland Threats08:20 ‘Impregnate 20 Women, Create Super Race’: Inside Epstein’s SICKEST ‘Baby Ranch’ Plan Using His DNA07:36 Iran Stares Down Trump’s Threats With Sharp Retorts; ‘Not Afraid Of US Military’08:35 Russia's Big Wins In Kharkiv & Sumy Spook Zelensky; Putin's Army Captures Two Towns07:30 Russia Tracks Hitmen Behind Top General's Assassination Attempt; Dramatic Operation On Cam
Up Next