China mine blast: Death toll rises to 82; Beijing orders crackdown as rescue ops continue — top developments
A deadly gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed at least 82 people, with rescue operations still under way and authorities launching a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining activities after the country’s worst mining disaster in 17 years, AFP reported.
The blast took place on Friday evening at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, China’s main coal-producing region. State media said 247 workers were underground at the time of the explosion, while more than 120 others were hospitalised for treatment.
PM Modi offers condolences
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed condolences over the loss of lives in the Shanxi mine blast and conveyed sympathies to Chinese President Xi Jinping and the people of China.
In a post on X, PM Modi wrote, "Saddened by the loss of lives in a mining accident in Shanxi Province in China. On behalf of the people of India, my condolences to President Xi Jinping and the people of China."
"May the bereaved families find strength in this tragic hour. Praying for the early and safe recovery of all remaining missing persons", he added.
What happened at the mine
A gas explosion ripped through the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province on Friday evening, killing at least 82 people.
State media said 247 workers were underground when the blast occurred at around 7.29 pm local time.
Authorities initially reported four deaths, but the toll rose sharply overnight as rescue teams reached more parts of the mine.
Rescue operations continue
State broadcaster CCTV said 123 injured workers were sent to hospital, with four reported to be in critical or serious condition.
As of Saturday afternoon, 33 workers had been discharged after treatment, according to state media reports.
A total of 755 emergency and medical personnel were deployed as rescue operations continued at the site.
Survivor recalls blast
Injured miner Wang Yong told CCTV there was a “puff of smoke” before he smelled sulphur inside the mine.
He said several workers were choked by smoke before he lost consciousness during the incident.
“I lay down for about an hour and woke up by myself. I called the people next to me and got out of the mine together,” Wang said.
China orders crackdown, probe
Chinese authorities launched what state media described as an “uncompromising” investigation into the explosion and vowed to “severely” punish those found responsible.
President Xi Jinping called for “all-out efforts” to treat the injured and ordered thorough investigations into the incident.
State media also said authorities had ordered a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining practices, including falsified safety data, unclear underground worker counts and illegal contracting activities.
PM Modi offers condolences
In a post on X, PM Modi wrote, "Saddened by the loss of lives in a mining accident in Shanxi Province in China. On behalf of the people of India, my condolences to President Xi Jinping and the people of China."
"May the bereaved families find strength in this tragic hour. Praying for the early and safe recovery of all remaining missing persons", he added.
What happened at the mine
State media said 247 workers were underground when the blast occurred at around 7.29 pm local time.
Authorities initially reported four deaths, but the toll rose sharply overnight as rescue teams reached more parts of the mine.
Rescue operations continue
State broadcaster CCTV said 123 injured workers were sent to hospital, with four reported to be in critical or serious condition.
As of Saturday afternoon, 33 workers had been discharged after treatment, according to state media reports.
A total of 755 emergency and medical personnel were deployed as rescue operations continued at the site.
Survivor recalls blast
Injured miner Wang Yong told CCTV there was a “puff of smoke” before he smelled sulphur inside the mine.
He said several workers were choked by smoke before he lost consciousness during the incident.
“I lay down for about an hour and woke up by myself. I called the people next to me and got out of the mine together,” Wang said.
China orders crackdown, probe
Chinese authorities launched what state media described as an “uncompromising” investigation into the explosion and vowed to “severely” punish those found responsible.
President Xi Jinping called for “all-out efforts” to treat the injured and ordered thorough investigations into the incident.
State media also said authorities had ordered a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining practices, including falsified safety data, unclear underground worker counts and illegal contracting activities.
Comments (2)
V
Vijay DuggalMost Interacted
1 second ago
But lizard china has never offered any condolences whenever casualties happen in India due to natural disaster or terrorists!...Read More
Reply
0
Reply
Popular from World
- 'Go home' for Green Card rule: Immigration attorney Rahul Reddy explains what H-1B visa holders should do now
- Quote of the day by Vietnamese Communist revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh: “To reap a return in ten years, plant trees. To reap a return in 100, cultivate the people.”
- Waiting for Green Card? Leave US first, re-enter with an immigrant visa
- Quote of the day by Amal Clooney: “If you’re a woman lying on the beach in the Maldives, you might want to know that a kilometer away, another woman is...”
- 10 countries with highest anaconda population in the world: From Brazil to French Guiana
end of article
Trending Stories
- PBKS vs LSG Live Score, IPL 2026: Punjab Kings battle Lucknow Super Giants in must-win clash to stay alive in playoff race
- 84% students show self-management skills, but parents still see academics first: What a school study reveals
- US Iran War News Live Updates: Pakistan army chief Munir meets Iran’s Araghchi in late-night Tehran talks; US hints fresh strikes
- Controversial Statue Removed: BJP govt pulls down Mamata-era sculpture; Ashoka emblem to replace logo
- Lucknow doctor arrested for raping Class 12th student after giving sedative injection inside OT
- ‘Beauty alone cannot feed family’: Why Uttarakhand’s villages are falling silent
- Virat Kohli vs Travis Head: What led to viral 'no handshake' between two IPL stars
Featured in world
- 'Fast-developing emergency': 1 killed, several injured after fire, explosions at New York City Shipyard
- Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases as WHO warns against underestimating outbreak risk
- ‘I will kill you Jews’: Man who threatened to blow up Jewish schools jailed for 5 years in UK
- King Charles surprises audience at Kenneth Branagh’s sold-out Shakespeare show in Stratford-upon-Avon
- World’s most powerful economies by 2030: Prediction reveals future global leaders
- Inside China’s 113-metre deep undersea tunnel: How a mega rail project could rewrite high-speed travel
Photostories
- Secrets of Kedarnath Temple: 10 fascinating facts every traveller should know
- Inland Taipan vs King Cobra: Which snake is truly more dangerous?
- 7 magnesium deficiency symptoms that could be warning signs from your heart
- 10 Indian states with highest snake population and what every wildlife traveller should know about them
- 7 easy container flowers to grow in May for nonstop summer colour
- From a kitchen garden to a lounge, private lifts and a massive terrace: Rajeev Khandelwal’s 3-floor lavish bungalow
- 5 most exciting facts about wolves that reveal a surprisingly complex wild world
- Chef Pankaj Bhadouria shares 5 tips to make Moong Dal Pakode extra crisp and less oily
- Are you a 'Peaky Blinders' fan? Here's a list of similar shows to add to your watchlist
- 5 trending bedroom designs in apartments and the moods they represent
Videos
08:13 Tehran Witnesses Massive Iranian Show Of Strength Amid Fears Of Fresh War With U.S. | Watch20:04 'You Denied Bases To Us': Marco Rubio Explodes After NATO FMs Meeting Over Iran War | Watch11:02 One-Sec B-2 Nuclear Bomber Video Sparks Iran War 2.0 Panic; Mystery Post Puts Mid-East On Edge10:47 Tulsi Gabbard Set To Rock Trump Camp Again? Biggest Intel Storm Yet About To Explode | Watch08:09 Deadly Explosion Rocks New York Dockyard, Massive Casualties; 'Workers Trapped, Then Blast...'09:20 Fresh Security Incident Reported As Tanker Approached Near Yemen’s Socotra Island | Report08:12 Mojtaba’s Chilling Warning After Trump's 'War Ends Soon' Claim; 'Bigger Conflict...' | Watch09:48 Trump Flames Heckler As Security Swarms The Crowd: 'Take Him To Mommy...'06:02 Tulsi Gabbard’s Exit Sparks Chaos As Source Claims Trump White House Pushed Her Out | WATCH
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media