‘No intention’: Canada's Carney rules out free trade pact with China after Trump threatens tariffs
Canadian prime minister Mark Carney has said Ottawa has “no intention” of pursuing a free trade agreement with China, pushing back against claims of a strategic drift towards Beijing, a day after US President Donald Trump threatened sweeping tariffs on Canadian goods.
Carney’s remarks came after Trump warned that Canada could face “100 per cent tariffs if it makes a deal with China". Speaking to reporters on Sunday (local time), Carney said Canada remains bound by commitments under the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), which restricts free trade agreements with non-market economies without prior notification.
“We have commitments under CUSMA not to pursue free trade agreements with non-market economies without prior notification. We have no intention of doing that with China or any other non-market economy,” Carney said. “What we have done with China is to rectify some issues that developed in the last couple of years.”
The prime minister said recent engagement with Beijing was limited to resolving tariff disputes stemming from an escalation in trade tensions, and did not involve broader market access or a comprehensive trade pact.
Trump had issued a sharp warning on Saturday, accusing China of undermining Canada’s economy and cautioning Ottawa against becoming a conduit for Chinese goods entering the United States.
“China will eat Canada alive, completely devour it, including the destruction of their businesses, social fabric, and general way of life,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
While Trump’s initial posts targeted Canada, his tone later softened, with subsequent messages focusing more directly on China. “China is successfully and completely taking over the once Great Country of Canada. So sad to see it happen,” he wrote, later adding, “I want to see Canada SURVIVE AND THRIVE!”
The tariff threat was a shift from Trump’s earlier response after Canada reached a trade arrangement with China. At the time, Trump had appeared unfazed. “That's what [Carney] should be doing. It's a good thing for him to sign a trade deal. If you can get a deal with China, you should do that,” he told reporters at the White House.
On Sunday, US treasury secretary Scott Bessent clarified that the administration’s concern centres on the possibility of Chinese goods entering the US via Canada. “If they go further – if we see that the Canadians are allowing the Chinese to dump goods ([into the United States),” Bessent said on ABC’s This Week. “We can’t let Canada become an opening that the Chinese to pour their cheap goods into the US,” Bessent added. .
He also questioned Carney’s approach ahead of a planned renegotiation of CUSMA this summer, saying, “I’m not sure what prime minister Carney is doing here, other than trying to virtue-signal to his globalist friends at Davos.”
Trade tensions have risen since Carney’s speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos last week, where he said “American hegemony” and “great powers” were using economic integration as “weapons.” Trump later criticised the remarks, saying, “Canada lives because of the United States. Remember that, Mark, the next time you make your statements.”
Canada’s latest position follows months of retaliatory trade measures. In 2024, Ottawa imposed a 100 per cent tariff on Chinese electric vehicles and 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminium, mirroring US actions. China responded with duties on Canadian exports including canola oil, pork and seafood.
Earlier this month, Canada adjusted its policy during a visit to China, agreeing to lower tariffs on a capped number of Chinese electric vehicles in exchange for reduced Chinese tariffs on Canadian agricultural products. Under the arrangement, up to 49,000 Chinese EVs will enter Canada annually at a 6.1 per cent tariff, rising to about 70,000 over five years, reported CBS News.
Carney said the cap represents roughly 3 per cent of Canada’s annual vehicle sales and described the move as a stabilisation measure rather than a shift in trade strategy. He added that China is expected to begin investing in Canada’s auto sector within three years.
“We have commitments under CUSMA not to pursue free trade agreements with non-market economies without prior notification. We have no intention of doing that with China or any other non-market economy,” Carney said. “What we have done with China is to rectify some issues that developed in the last couple of years.”
The prime minister said recent engagement with Beijing was limited to resolving tariff disputes stemming from an escalation in trade tensions, and did not involve broader market access or a comprehensive trade pact.
Trump’ issues sharp warning
Trump had issued a sharp warning on Saturday, accusing China of undermining Canada’s economy and cautioning Ottawa against becoming a conduit for Chinese goods entering the United States.
“China will eat Canada alive, completely devour it, including the destruction of their businesses, social fabric, and general way of life,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
While Trump’s initial posts targeted Canada, his tone later softened, with subsequent messages focusing more directly on China. “China is successfully and completely taking over the once Great Country of Canada. So sad to see it happen,” he wrote, later adding, “I want to see Canada SURVIVE AND THRIVE!”
The tariff threat was a shift from Trump’s earlier response after Canada reached a trade arrangement with China. At the time, Trump had appeared unfazed. “That's what [Carney] should be doing. It's a good thing for him to sign a trade deal. If you can get a deal with China, you should do that,” he told reporters at the White House.
On Sunday, US treasury secretary Scott Bessent clarified that the administration’s concern centres on the possibility of Chinese goods entering the US via Canada. “If they go further – if we see that the Canadians are allowing the Chinese to dump goods ([into the United States),” Bessent said on ABC’s This Week. “We can’t let Canada become an opening that the Chinese to pour their cheap goods into the US,” Bessent added. .
He also questioned Carney’s approach ahead of a planned renegotiation of CUSMA this summer, saying, “I’m not sure what prime minister Carney is doing here, other than trying to virtue-signal to his globalist friends at Davos.”
What’s the contention
Trade tensions have risen since Carney’s speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos last week, where he said “American hegemony” and “great powers” were using economic integration as “weapons.” Trump later criticised the remarks, saying, “Canada lives because of the United States. Remember that, Mark, the next time you make your statements.”
Canada’s latest position follows months of retaliatory trade measures. In 2024, Ottawa imposed a 100 per cent tariff on Chinese electric vehicles and 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminium, mirroring US actions. China responded with duties on Canadian exports including canola oil, pork and seafood.
Earlier this month, Canada adjusted its policy during a visit to China, agreeing to lower tariffs on a capped number of Chinese electric vehicles in exchange for reduced Chinese tariffs on Canadian agricultural products. Under the arrangement, up to 49,000 Chinese EVs will enter Canada annually at a 6.1 per cent tariff, rising to about 70,000 over five years, reported CBS News.
Carney said the cap represents roughly 3 per cent of Canada’s annual vehicle sales and described the move as a stabilisation measure rather than a shift in trade strategy. He added that China is expected to begin investing in Canada’s auto sector within three years.
Popular from World
- Indian‑origin doctor says her mother was ‘harassed’ by ICE agents in Texas: ‘Because she has an accent…’
- Ted Cruz says Navarro, JD Vance blocked India trade deal; mocks Trump tariffs in leaked audio
- Hindu man burnt to death in Bangladesh
- Kamala Harris explodes after ICU nurse shot by ICE agents, calls Minneapolis a ‘murderous occupation’
- Egypt’s ‘lost golden city’ resurfaces after 3,400 years and it’s rewriting history
end of article
Trending Stories
- Mike Tomlin’s wife Kiya Tomlin makes a cryptic comment as their marriage faces controversial cheating rumors
- Cooper Kupp’s wife Anna sparks debate after wearing Seahawks coat against Rams in NFC Championship showdown
- 'BCB will consider if ... ': Bangladesh give Sheikh Hasina-linked cricketer Shakib Al Hasan ultimate selection conditions
- 'I'm upset right now': Novak Djokovic after Aryna Sabalenka breaks his elusive Grand Slam record
- “Stressing them out”: Travis Kelce’s uncertainty slows wedding plans despite Taylor Swift locking in a date and venue
- Oklahoma City Thunder vs Toronto Raptors (01-25-2026) game preview: When and where to watch, expected lineup, injury report, prediction, and more
- Sauce Gardner and Brooklyn Nikole allegedly dating: How it began after Ice Spice split
Featured in world
- ‘Tobacco is responsible for America’s obesity and chronic illness’: RFK Jr. says cigarette giants engineered addictive foods
- Andrew Tate's shocking Charlie Kirk comments hint at dark truth blame power games over Candace Owens voice
- ‘Spent $3.25 million hiring H-1B workers’: Texas university draws backlash over foreign hiring and claims of ‘importing labour’
- Sweden unearths a 5,000-year-old dog buried with a dagger, hints at elite treatment
- Indian‑origin doctor says her mother was ‘harassed’ by ICE agents in Texas: ‘Because she has an accent…’
- Mizkif alleges bizarre incident involving Tectone and Emiru during ongoing feud
Photostories
- 10 baby girl names inspired by sacred rivers beyond the famous ones
- 'Border 2,' 'Pathaan' to 'Padmaavat': Biggest Republic Day openers at the box office
- ‘Sinners,’ ‘Chronicles,’ ‘Black Panther’: You can’t miss out these top Michael B. Jordan movies
- How to set boundaries with others when you often shrink yourself: 5 effective tips
- Republic Day 2026: 7 Tricolour-inspired dishes to try at home
- 6 traditional Bengali sweets made with Nolen Gur
- 5 most famous glaciers in the world that every adventure travellers must visit at least once
- Beat Chennai traffic: Phase-2 metro Koyambedu–Butt Road line to open by June
- From a luxurious house in Mumbai to a property in California, net worth and more: Krushna Abhishek’s lavish lifestyle
- Baby names inspired by love and compassion
Videos
09:06 Spain’s Sanchez Taunts Trump As NATO Nation Erupts Over US Plan To Invade Greenland09:38 Chilling Audio Of Trump’s Venezuela Operation Out; ‘Accept Offer Or We’ll Kill You’ | Watch08:44 Iran Threatens US Carrier With Drone Strike Video As IRGC Claims ‘Finger On The Trigger’07:18 Electrifying! America's Alex Honnold Scales Taiwan's Tallest Skyscraper; Says THIS On Reaching Top07:25 Minnesota: Alex Pretti’s Viral Video Shows Never-Seen-Before Act; Anger Against ICE Explodes07:03 Minneapolis Horror: Witnesses, Video Challenge Trump Claims In ICE Shooting Of Nurse Alex Pretti08:50 Minnesota Shut Out As DHS Seizes Federal Shooting Probe, Sparking Outrage & Protests09:57 Khamenei Goes Underground As U.S. Warships Advance and Iran Warns Of All-Out War03:59 Venezuela’s Rodriguez Bashes Trump’s ‘Puppet' Machado; ‘Don’t Deserve To Even…’
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment