Talks, threats, and turbulence: Trump sends team back to Pakistan as defiant Iran stares him down
TOI correspondent from Washington: A high-level American team is heading back to Pakistan on Monday for a second round of talks with Iran amid renewed threats by US President Donald Trump that he will destroy every bridge and every power plant if Teheran does not make a deal with Washington.
Iran has not confirmed that its team will return to Pakistan for the talks, suggesting that it will not do so until the US navy lifts its blockade of the Hormuz Strait and agrees to negotiate on other Iranian demands such as lifting of sanctions, unfreezing its frozen assets, and a permanent end to war. Even though Trump announced the US visit even as he made dire threats, Iran was still ascertaining from Pakistan, whose military ruler Asim Munir made an apparently fruitless three-day visit to Teheran last week, if its red lines would be respected.
For that matter, there was confusion in Washington too over the composition of the US team and its brief for the talks. Trump initially said vice-president JD Vance would not be leading the team consisting of his special envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner, ostensibly because of security concerns on part of the Secret Service arising from a short-notice trip, but the White House later said Vance would be going even though Iran has not confirmed its attendance.
Earlier, the US President set a belligerent, aggressive tone ahead of parleys with yet another tough message to Iran on social media, berating it for firing on merchant ships in the Strait of Hormuz in violation of the ceasefire agreement as he once again unloaded on Teheran.
“We're offering a very fair and reasonable DEAL, and I hope they take it because, if they don't, the United States is going to knock out every single Power Plant, and every single Bridge, in Iran. NO MORE MR. NICE GUY!” Trump warned in a post, a toned down version of his threat two weeks ago to end Iranian civilisation, but one many analysts still see as potential war crime.
“They'll come down fast, they'll come down easy and, if they don't take the DEAL, it will be my Honor to do what has to be done, which should have been done to Iran, by other Presidents, for the last 47 years. IT'S TIME FOR THE IRAN KILLING MACHINE TO END!” Trump added.
Iran’s President Dr Masoud Pezeshkian meanwhile said it is the US which announces who they will assassinate next and then call Iranians terrorists. “Human rights is silent. The UN is asleep. And the international laws they love to cite exist for everyone except the people being bombed,” he countered in one interview
Trump is also being pilloried at home for a ham-handed approach to negotiations without adequate preparatory work, with even US analysts saying his effort to simply bulldoze Iran with threats and invective is not working.
But according to an account in the Wall Street Journal citing senior administration officials, Trump has told aides he wants to appear as unstable and insulting as possible, believing it could bring Iranians to the table.
“It was a language the Iranians would understand. But he was also concerned about the fallout. ‘How’s it playing?’ he asked advisers,” the report quoted one official as saying, referring to Trump’s posts on Easter in which he called Iranian leaders “crazy bastards,” asked them to “open the f–king strait” and threatened to end their civilization, an approach commentators across the word saw as “unhinged.”
The report also said Secretary of State Marco Rubio – the country’s lead diplomat who has been sidelined in the talks with Iran – told others privately it was language that might actually bring the Iranians to negotiate.
But far from being spooked, Teheran has stared down the US at the risk of being pulverized some more, even as Trump has repeatedly suggested the Iranian leadership is divided and his team is negotiating with a more moderate faction that is more inclined to conclude a deal with Washington.
At home though Trump is facing growing criticism for leading the US into yet another distant quagmire, one where by his own admission, Washington has little stake.
“They're helping us without knowing, and they are the ones that lose with the closed passage, $500 Million Dollars a day! The United States loses nothing. In fact, many Ships are headed, right now, to the US, Texas, Louisiana, and Alaska, to load up, compliments of the IRGC, always wanting to be “the tough guy!” Trump said in his Truth Social post on Sunday, undercutting his own campaign against Iran which ostensibly centers on ensuring the country never gets anywhere close to a nuclear weapon.
There is also brewing backlash in MAGA circles over rising gas prices at home, an issue Trump has sought to brush aside even as he brags about US energy self-sufficiency.
Supporters of vice-president JD Vance are also unhappy that he is being thrown under the bus for talks to defuse a war that was against from the very beginning. Some commentators are surprised that Trump has detailed the vice-president for talks half way across the world while knee-capping him with threats against Iran that diminish prospects of success, particularly after a failed first round. “Sending Vance back to Pakistan after 21 hours of failed talks is like restarting a microwave that already caught fire,” one observer noted tartly on X.
For that matter, there was confusion in Washington too over the composition of the US team and its brief for the talks. Trump initially said vice-president JD Vance would not be leading the team consisting of his special envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner, ostensibly because of security concerns on part of the Secret Service arising from a short-notice trip, but the White House later said Vance would be going even though Iran has not confirmed its attendance.
Earlier, the US President set a belligerent, aggressive tone ahead of parleys with yet another tough message to Iran on social media, berating it for firing on merchant ships in the Strait of Hormuz in violation of the ceasefire agreement as he once again unloaded on Teheran.
“We're offering a very fair and reasonable DEAL, and I hope they take it because, if they don't, the United States is going to knock out every single Power Plant, and every single Bridge, in Iran. NO MORE MR. NICE GUY!” Trump warned in a post, a toned down version of his threat two weeks ago to end Iranian civilisation, but one many analysts still see as potential war crime.
“They'll come down fast, they'll come down easy and, if they don't take the DEAL, it will be my Honor to do what has to be done, which should have been done to Iran, by other Presidents, for the last 47 years. IT'S TIME FOR THE IRAN KILLING MACHINE TO END!” Trump added.
Iran’s President Dr Masoud Pezeshkian meanwhile said it is the US which announces who they will assassinate next and then call Iranians terrorists. “Human rights is silent. The UN is asleep. And the international laws they love to cite exist for everyone except the people being bombed,” he countered in one interview
But according to an account in the Wall Street Journal citing senior administration officials, Trump has told aides he wants to appear as unstable and insulting as possible, believing it could bring Iranians to the table.
“It was a language the Iranians would understand. But he was also concerned about the fallout. ‘How’s it playing?’ he asked advisers,” the report quoted one official as saying, referring to Trump’s posts on Easter in which he called Iranian leaders “crazy bastards,” asked them to “open the f–king strait” and threatened to end their civilization, an approach commentators across the word saw as “unhinged.”
The report also said Secretary of State Marco Rubio – the country’s lead diplomat who has been sidelined in the talks with Iran – told others privately it was language that might actually bring the Iranians to negotiate.
But far from being spooked, Teheran has stared down the US at the risk of being pulverized some more, even as Trump has repeatedly suggested the Iranian leadership is divided and his team is negotiating with a more moderate faction that is more inclined to conclude a deal with Washington.
At home though Trump is facing growing criticism for leading the US into yet another distant quagmire, one where by his own admission, Washington has little stake.
“They're helping us without knowing, and they are the ones that lose with the closed passage, $500 Million Dollars a day! The United States loses nothing. In fact, many Ships are headed, right now, to the US, Texas, Louisiana, and Alaska, to load up, compliments of the IRGC, always wanting to be “the tough guy!” Trump said in his Truth Social post on Sunday, undercutting his own campaign against Iran which ostensibly centers on ensuring the country never gets anywhere close to a nuclear weapon.
There is also brewing backlash in MAGA circles over rising gas prices at home, an issue Trump has sought to brush aside even as he brags about US energy self-sufficiency.
Supporters of vice-president JD Vance are also unhappy that he is being thrown under the bus for talks to defuse a war that was against from the very beginning. Some commentators are surprised that Trump has detailed the vice-president for talks half way across the world while knee-capping him with threats against Iran that diminish prospects of success, particularly after a failed first round. “Sending Vance back to Pakistan after 21 hours of failed talks is like restarting a microwave that already caught fire,” one observer noted tartly on X.
Popular from World
- ‘Turn around immediately’: Moment Iranian Navy blocks Indian tanker in Strait of Hormuz - Watch
- US tourist visa denied 4 times for Indian-origin parents as family says 9 years of struggle was not enough: 'Is there any hope left?'
- 'Red flag': US intel flags Pakistan army chief Asim Munir as risk for Trump admin, says report
- Quote of the day by Winston Churchill: “All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honour; duty; mercy; hope.”
- 'Only Punjabi, Hindi, and Urdu...': Democrat condemns detention of Indian-origin Meenu Batra after 35 years in US
end of article
Trending Stories
- US-Israel-Iran War Ceasefire News Live Updates: 'We were the victors': Iran says all enemy plans failed, including Strait of Hormuz opening
- IPL 2026 Live: Yash Raj strikes first IPL wicket as RR spinners tighten grip on KKR
- PBKS vs LSG, IPL 2026: Shreyas Iyer’s PBKS aim to stay unbeaten as Rishabh Pant’s LSG search for answers
- CBSE Class 12 Result 2026 Live Updates: Result likely by THIS date as over 18 lakh students await scores; check where and how to download your marksheets
- IPL Match Today, KKR vs RR: Predicted playing XI, head-to-head, pitch report, Kolkata weather update
- WWE WrestleMania 42 Night 1 Results & Highlights: Randy Orton punt kicks Cody Rhodes, new champions, shocking returns, and more
- JAC Class 12 result 2026: Inter result likely soon as Jharkhand Board enters final evaluation phase
Featured in world
- Canadian man Germanpreet Singh wanted for firing gun with intent in Calgary
- H-1B visa fraud: Two Indian-origin men plead guilty in California; hired people for non-existent posts
- London synagogue targeted in another attempted arson attack; Sadiq Khan vows strict action
- Indian heritage spirits Mahua and Goan Feni debut in UK market
- ‘A little tacky’: Trump reviews his own McDonald’s moment
- Queen Elizabeth II’s private papers opened for first official biography project
Photostories
- Beautiful Indo-Arabic and Persian baby names quietly used in Indian families
- He never drank alcohol, yet was diagnosed with severe fatty liver: What this says about modern diets and silent lifestyle risks
- How to stop rice flour roti from cracking: 5 proven home tips to make soft and puffed roti
- As Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh announce second pregnancy, a look at Bollywood’s cutest pregnancy announcements
- Inside Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez’s parenting style: How they’re raising grounded, disciplined teen sons
- 7 factors driving property price growth in Indian metro cities
- From lotus feet darshan to reopening of Gangotri Temple: 5 rare spiritual journeys to experience this Akshaya Tritiya
- Samay Raina reveals financial struggles after India’s Got Latent controversy; says, ‘I lost everything, I feared going broke and in debt’
- Why Mumbai's Churchgate–Virar, CSMT–Kalyan routes are being considered for underground shift
- Baby names inspired by everyday qualities parents quietly admire
Videos
09:15 Power Shift In Iran? IRGC Tightens Grip Over US Talks As Hormuz Conflict Explodes | Report06:08 Kash Patel In Hot Seat? ‘Freak-Out’ Claims Fuel Firing Talk; FBI Chief Hits Back with 'Memo'14:02 Iran's Hormuz ‘DOOMSDAY’ Weapons Ready As US Strikes FAIL To Dent Secret Arsenal | Bombshell Report09:32 TERRIFYING VIDEO: Cruise Missile Erupts In FIREBALL During Live Iran Interview With ‘F-35 Hunter’11:00 Lula Targets Trump, Putin, Netanyahu Over Global War Politics09:03 Russia Unleashes Iskander-K Missile System Capable Of Striking Targets 2,000KM Across Europe | Watch08:32 'Won't Surrender...': Iran President Slams Trump's 'Uranium Excavation' Claims, Issues Big Warning10:06 ‘IDIOT'S POSTS WON'T OPEN HORMUZ’: Iran Navy's Audio Message To 'Indian Vessel' Mocks Trump08:34 New Maritime Threat? Houthis Warn Of Bab al-Mandab Closure As Iran Tensions Rise
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment