Read Ad Free On App
Open
OPEN APP

'Unacceptable': Trump official asks Ukraine to tone it down

Donald Trump’s top security advisor criticized Ukraine for opposi... Read More
Donald Trump’s top security advisor on Thursday slammed Ukraine for criticising the United States, calling it "unacceptable." He also urged Kyiv to dial down its rhetoric and sign a minerals deal backed by the White House.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now
"We’re getting all this pushback... they need to tone it down, take a hard look, and sign that deal," national security advisor Mike Waltz had told Fox News, just hours before Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy was set to meet Trump’s special envoy, Keith Kellogg, in Kyiv.

This deal would grant the US access to Ukraine’s vast natural resources, aligning with Trump’s push to secure a return on American aid as Ukraine continues its fight against Russia’s invasion. However, Zelenskyy rejected the agreement over the weekend, arguing it fails to provide security guarantees three years into the war.

Waltz defended the deal, calling it "the best security guarantee they could ever hope for, much more than another pallet of ammunition," and claimed US investment in Ukraine would provide long-term stability.

Trump’s recent engagement with Moscow has alarmed Kyiv and its European allies, who fear that United State’s talks with the Kremlin could pressure Ukraine into making concessions.

Remarkably, Ukraine was excluded from negotiations in Riyadh earlier this month, where US and Russian officials alleged sought to sideline both Kyiv and Europe.
Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

Tensions have escalated in the days since Zelenskyy rejected the minerals deal, with Trump branding the Ukrainian leader a "dictator," while Zelenskyy has accused the US president of being trapped in a Russian "disinformation" bubble.

Waltz acknowledged growing frustration but suggested the dispute could still be resolved. "I think so… to say that we're going to change the nature of our aid going forward, I don’t think should offend anyone," he said.

He also denied claims that Ukraine has been cut out of Trump’s talks with Russia, insisting that Washington remains engaged with Kyiv and European allies.

"This is a common-sense plan. They may not like it, but we’re going to drive it forward, and everybody will stop squawking when the fighting ends," Waltz said, adding that Washington and Moscow share an interest in ending the war.

"We're going full speed ahead to drive this war to an end—then we can talk about broader geo-strategic relationships."

About the Author

TOI World Desk

At TOI World Desk, our dedicated team of seasoned journalists and... Read More

Start a Conversation

Post comment
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT