MUMBAI: The city police have launched a manhunt for a gang which shot dead one man in a kidnapping case.
Businessman Jatin Shah (35), a resident of Juhu scheme and owner of Jayco Metals at Vasai, was driving along Ghodbunder bridge along with two employees on Saturday when a car banged into his vehicle. When Shah stopped, four men got out of the car and kidnapped them at gunpoint.
According to the police, the kidnappers drove to Nashik where Shah and his workers, Mohammad Nisar Khan and Milind Thorale, were beaten up and asked to arrange for Rs 50 lakh.
When they refused, the kidnappers shot Thorale and Khan and dumped them at Trimbakeshwar Ghat. Thorale died but Khan managed to survive. A team of patrolling policemen found him just in time.
On Sunday night, two men from the gang landed up at Shah''s residence and introduced themselves as his friends. They said Shah had sent them to fetch Rs 20,000. The family smelt a rat and informed the Juhu police. The two - Prashant Veda (20) and Sandeep Singh (35) - were arrested. They are residents of Thane district.
"The kidnappers had been tracking Shah''s movements for a couple of days. The abduction could have been a result of business rivalry," an officer from the Juhu police station said.
While Shah is still missing, Khan has been moved to J J Hospital. Police sources from Nashik said Shah could have been taken to Vidarbha.