Supreme Court dismisses SLP for stay on Mumabai's Garib Nagar slum demolition; 3 more held for stone-pelting
MUMBAI: The Supreme Court has dismissed a special leave petition that sought to halt the ongoing anti-encroachment drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East, underlining that the railways are acting within the law to remove illegal structures, said Western Railway chief public relations officer Vineet Abhishek while speaking to the media on Friday.
“This gives a clear message that we are doing the right work of removing encroachments. Illegal structures are being demolished as per due process,” Abhishek said.
The development comes amid a continuing police probe into the stone-pelting and rioting reported at Garib Nagar in Bandra East during the demolition drive earlier this week. Police said three more people were arrested late on Thursday, taking the total number of arrests in the case to 19.
At least five police personnel were injured during the violence on Wednesday by a group of around 150 people. Constable Jitendra Singh suffered a fractured hand, while another policeman sustained a broken nose, officials said. Protesters allegedly hurled stones and paver blocks at the police, prompting a lathi-charge to disperse the crowd.
Among those arrested late on Thursday was Saddam Khan, described by the police as a key accused. A photograph purportedly showing him holding a paver block has gone viral. Khan was arrested from Govandi. Police also said his brother is a history sheeter. The situation at Garib Nagar remained under control on Friday and no fresh protests were reported, police said.
The FIR was registered based on a complaint filed by an assistant inspector of the Railway Protection Force. According to the
complaint, a mob of 100 to 150 people gathered at the site at around 4.30 pm on Wednesday and raised slogans opposing the demolition. Police repeatedly instructed the crowd through a megaphone to vacate the area, but the gathering allegedly turned aggressive despite warnings that force would be used if they did not disperse.
On debris management, Abhishek said clearance work is progressing steadily. “On the north side, towards Bandra Terminus, around 50% debris has been cleared and disposed of. The remaining debris will be transported to designated dumping sites,” he said. Barricading has begun at multiple locations, and deployment of 1,000 to 1,200 personnel will continue through the weekend.
Abhishek said the cleared land will be used for capacity augmentation at Bandra Terminus and the integrated railway complex, while easing congestion in Bandra East. He added that coordination with the traffic department will focus on streamlining passenger movement, vehicle circulation, and creating designated pedestrian and public transport spaces for safer entry,
exit, pick-up and drop.
The development comes amid a continuing police probe into the stone-pelting and rioting reported at Garib Nagar in Bandra East during the demolition drive earlier this week. Police said three more people were arrested late on Thursday, taking the total number of arrests in the case to 19.
At least five police personnel were injured during the violence on Wednesday by a group of around 150 people. Constable Jitendra Singh suffered a fractured hand, while another policeman sustained a broken nose, officials said. Protesters allegedly hurled stones and paver blocks at the police, prompting a lathi-charge to disperse the crowd.
Among those arrested late on Thursday was Saddam Khan, described by the police as a key accused. A photograph purportedly showing him holding a paver block has gone viral. Khan was arrested from Govandi. Police also said his brother is a history sheeter. The situation at Garib Nagar remained under control on Friday and no fresh protests were reported, police said.
complaint, a mob of 100 to 150 people gathered at the site at around 4.30 pm on Wednesday and raised slogans opposing the demolition. Police repeatedly instructed the crowd through a megaphone to vacate the area, but the gathering allegedly turned aggressive despite warnings that force would be used if they did not disperse.
Abhishek said the cleared land will be used for capacity augmentation at Bandra Terminus and the integrated railway complex, while easing congestion in Bandra East. He added that coordination with the traffic department will focus on streamlining passenger movement, vehicle circulation, and creating designated pedestrian and public transport spaces for safer entry,
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
end of article
In Mumbai
- BMC begins soil testing for planned Malabar Hill tank
- Kamothe lake in Navi Mumbai loses major part to reclamation project
- Maharashtra a favorable destination for industries, says Dy CM Shinde
- Netas allege civic neglect for market blaze that killed 2 in Maharashtra
- Beggar on Mumbai footpath turns out to be missing medical student from Nanded, reunited with kin
- Relief for unaided schools as Bombay HC halts mandatory deployment of teachers for Census
- Shelter home writes to Maharashtra CM on steep hike in electricity bills
Featured In City
- Jadavpur University launches ‘scribe bank’ to support visually impaired students during exams
- Delhi's Shastri Park furniture market blaze sparks chaos, fire tenders pelted with stones over delayed response; watch
- Twisha Sharma death case: Advocate husband Samarth Singh’s legal licence suspended
- Rs 69,000 for answer sheets: CBSE portal glitch leaves students, parents baffled; re-evaluation timeline extended
- Heatwave conditions likely in parts of Delhi till May 28
- 'Haven't bathed for days': Water crisis roils Delhi's Dakshinpuri; 5,000 residents affected
- Customers buy solutions, not tech: Persistent Systems MD Anand Deshpande
Photostories
- Thought of the day inspired by Bhagavad Gita: "Not every battle deserves your energy"
- America's best national parks for snake spotting
- How children raised by overly strict parents turn out later in life: The answer is an eye-opener
- 10 baby names that mean smart and intelligent
- Why some young adults need 3 or more BP medicines: Doctor explains the hidden condition many don’t know they have
- 5 most visited tourist attractions in the USA and what travellers need to know
- From facing rejections over her dark skin tone to refusing a fairness cream ad film: When The Kerala Story 2 actress Ulka Gupta spoke about her struggles
- Cannes 2026: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan sets the red carpet on fire in a blue crystal gown by Amit Aggarwal
- India’s most mystical and lesser-known mangrove forests travellers rarely talk about
- Aam Panna to Lassi: 10 traditional Indian summer drinks & their calories per serving
Videos
03:03 Department Of Space Clears Major Space Manufacturing Clusters In Gujarat And Tamil Nadu03:08 Centre To Create Strong Anti-Infiltration Security Layer Across Tripura, Assam And Bengal: Amit Shah04:38 SC To Revisit UAPA Bail Standards As Umar Khalid Case Sparks Bigger Constitutional Debate03:19 India Conducts Successful Agni-1 Missile Test; Strategic Forces Command Validates All Parameters03:01 Suvendu Adhikari Announces New Direct Deportation Policy For Illegal Bangladeshi Migrants05:11 Kerala Swearing-In Sees Unity Moments As Rivals Exchange Smiles Inside Assembly Hall Today in Kerala04:23 Twisha Sharma Case: Husband Samarth Singh Surrenders In Court, Taken Into Police Custody | Watch03:03 West Bengal: Crude Bombs Recovered In Birbhum’s Kod Village, Area Cordoned Off07:35 West Bengal Begins Border Fencing In Phansidewa Amid Rising Infiltration And Smuggling Concerns
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media