This story is from January 5, 2024

NIT Wants Slab On Nullah, NMC Reminds It Of Sept 23 Mayhem

NIT Wants Slab On Nullah, NMC Reminds It Of Sept 23 Mayhem
Nagpur: At a time when residents of Daga Layout, Corporation Colony, Ambazari Layout etc are demanding demolition of slabs over Nag river to prevent a replay of the devastating floods of September 23, 2023, the Nagpur Improvement Trust (NIT) has proposed laying a slab on a nullah in Chandramani Nagar of south Nagpur for easing vehicular traffic.
The Nagpur Municipal Corporation’s Dhantoli zone has, however, refused to provide a NOC to the project.
1x1 polls

NIT Wants Slab On Nullah, NMC Reminds It Of Sept 23 Mayhem

South Nagpur MLA Mohan Mate sanctioned ₹14.38 lakh from his discretionary funds for putting the slab. He also performed bhumi puja of the project in April last year following NIT’s sanction to the project under Dalit Vasti Sudhar Yojana. While the NIT issued a work order, it has failed to obtain a no objection certificate (NOC) from NMC’s Dhantoli zone.
Recently, the NIT issued a letter to NMC, seeking an NOC at the earliest following MLA Mate’s demand for a status report on the project.
NMC’s Dhantoli zone executive engineer Ujjwal Dhanvijay told TOI that covering the nullah with a slab may result in a flood-like situation in future, just like the one created by a slab near NIT skating rink in Daga Layout last September.
Dhanvijay said, “I had visited the locality and as per my observations, construction of a slab can’t be allowed there. I have submitted the spot inspection report to superintendent (public health engineering) Shweta Banerjee.”

Residents of Chandramani Nagar have been demanding the slab because the existing road is usually blocked for pandals, resulting in frequent traffic jams. “At times of crisis, neither a fire tender nor even an ambulance could reach our homes. Putting a slab will widen the road and ease congestion,” said Mahesh Khonde.
Justifying its demand, the NIT, in its letter to NMC, stated that the NMC had in the past put a slab on a major portion of the nullah near Chandramani Nagar, but is opposing a project now.
On NMC denying permission, local residents said it should first remove encroachments alongside the nullah. “These encroachments have narrowed the width of the nullah. One of the residents even constructed a pillar in the middle of the nullah, thus obstructing free flow of water,” said a resident.
Chandramani Nagar residents also expressed anguish over neglect of the tar road for over a decade, especially in 3-L housing society.
author
About the Author
Proshun Chakraborty

Proshun Chakraborty is a Senior Correspondent at The Times of India, Nagpur. He covers news on traffic, the zilla parishad, the district collectorate, the divisional commisionarate and fire control. His hobbies include surfing the net, reading and travelling.

End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA