Doctors boycott OPD services in Buxar govt hospitals after woman’s death

Doctors boycott OPD services in Buxar govt hospitals after woman’s death
Buxar: Outpatient department (OPD) services remained suspended at all govt hospitals, including primary health centres (PHCs) and community health centres (CHCs), across Buxar on Thursday following a three-day boycott call given by the Bihar Health Services Association (BHASA). The protest was triggered by alleged misbehaviour by attendants and unrest involving doctors after the death of a woman at Sadar hospital on Tuesday night. The boycott is likely to affect hundreds of patients who rely on govt facilities for routine consultations.Following the woman’s death, her family members had allegedly created a ruckus on the hospital premises, accusing doctors of negligence. Hospital sources said the situation escalated into verbal abuse and physical altercations, resulting in heightened tension on the hospital premises late into the night.
Patna Headlines Today — Key Stories You Shouldn’t Miss.
An emergency meeting of the district unit of BHASA was held on Wednesday to discuss the incident. Doctors expressed serious concerns over their personal safety while on duty. The association unanimously decided to suspend OPD services, stating that repeated incidents of violence in hospitals have created a climate of fear among medical professionals.Dr Sanjay Kumar, district secretary of BHASA, said doctors have long been demanding tight security arrangements at govt hospitals, but no concrete steps have been taken by the district administration so far.
“In protest, OPD services have been boycotted at all govt hospitals in the district on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Senior authorities have been informed about our decision. If effective security measures are not implemented soon, the agitation may be intensified. The option of disrupting emergency services in the future also remains open,” he warned.The boycott has caused inconvenience to patients at Sadar hospital as well as PHCs and CHCs across the district. “I came early in the morning on Thursday for my follow-up check-up, but the OPD was closed. Private treatment is too expensive for us,” said Ramesh Kumar, a patient from Dumraon.Another patient, Sunita Devi, said, “We understand doctors’ problems, but poor patients suffer the most when hospitals stop services.” The district administration has not issued any official statement so far.When contacted, Buxar civil surgeon Dr Shiv Kumar Prasad said only OPD services have been suspended. “Doctors have boycotted OPD services across the district. Every doctor has the right to work with freedom and security,” he said.


author
About the AuthorKamlesh Singh

Based in Buxar, covering a wide range of district-level news, including neighbouring regions of Uttar Pradesh. Contributing to The Times of India since 2001, and also writes for Dance of Democracy.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media