Bihar RWD suspends 3 engineers after Rs 2.87 crore bridge collapses in Gopalganj
PATNA: Rural works department (RWD) on Monday suspended three engineers for alleged negligence after a portion of a reinforced cement concrete (RCC) bridge under construction over the Ghoghari river in Gopalganj district collapsed on Sunday afternoon. The incident, attributed to use of substandard materials and poor supervision, prompted the district magistrate to recommend strict action and blacklisting of the contractor.
The suspension order was issued based on the recommendation of Gopalganj DM Pawan Kumar Sinha. The 29-metre-long bridge on Bakhraul Kurmi Tola Path at Gangwa village in Siddhwalia block had collapsed during casting, though no casualties were reported.
DM Sinha, who inspected the site after the collapse, recommended departmental action against executive engineer (EE) Bhupesh Kumar, assistant engineer (AE) Jyoti Madhesia and junior engineer (JE) Dilip Tiwari for gross negligence. He also sought blacklisting of Bapudham Construction, Motihari, the agency executing the project. The bridge, worth Rs2.87 crore, was being built by Bapudham Construction Company. Work began on March 7 last year, and its completion deadline was March 6, 2026, he said.
According to an RWD statement, the three engineers of Gopalganj work division-2 were suspended with immediate effect on charges of negligence. Meanwhile, action is also being taken against the contractor, Babul Kumar, engaged in the construction of the bridge.
Villagers alleged use of substandard materials and weak reinforcement bars, claiming that lack of quality checks could lead to major accidents in the future. “Preliminary investigation revealed gross negligence in supervision by the officials. I have ordered strict departmental action, suspension and termination of the three engineers,” Sinha said, adding the contractor was blacklisted for failing to follow quality protocols.
Sinha noted that inadequate soil compaction and weak iron bosses used in centring, which failed to bear the concrete load, were likely causes of the collapse. He added that the contractor claimed illness, but no representative was present at the site, which was “a serious lapse.”
“A complete report has been sent to the RWD. A high-level probe will be conducted. Experts have collected cement and iron-centering samples from the site. Strict action against the guilty will be ensured,” he said.
Israel attacks Iran
- US-Israel-Iran War Live Updates: Iran launches 'massive missile' strike at US airbase in Bahrain; Israel bombs Beirut
- Iran Strikes Saudi Aramco Facility: Drone attack halts oil at Ras Tanura; Gulf states weigh response
- ‘Last, best chance’: Trump sets out four clear objectives for ending Iran war — what are they
DM Sinha, who inspected the site after the collapse, recommended departmental action against executive engineer (EE) Bhupesh Kumar, assistant engineer (AE) Jyoti Madhesia and junior engineer (JE) Dilip Tiwari for gross negligence. He also sought blacklisting of Bapudham Construction, Motihari, the agency executing the project. The bridge, worth Rs2.87 crore, was being built by Bapudham Construction Company. Work began on March 7 last year, and its completion deadline was March 6, 2026, he said.
According to an RWD statement, the three engineers of Gopalganj work division-2 were suspended with immediate effect on charges of negligence. Meanwhile, action is also being taken against the contractor, Babul Kumar, engaged in the construction of the bridge.
Villagers alleged use of substandard materials and weak reinforcement bars, claiming that lack of quality checks could lead to major accidents in the future. “Preliminary investigation revealed gross negligence in supervision by the officials. I have ordered strict departmental action, suspension and termination of the three engineers,” Sinha said, adding the contractor was blacklisted for failing to follow quality protocols.
Sinha noted that inadequate soil compaction and weak iron bosses used in centring, which failed to bear the concrete load, were likely causes of the collapse. He added that the contractor claimed illness, but no representative was present at the site, which was “a serious lapse.”
“A complete report has been sent to the RWD. A high-level probe will be conducted. Experts have collected cement and iron-centering samples from the site. Strict action against the guilty will be ensured,” he said.
Popular from City
- Middle-East tension: Amid falling missiles, savings run out for 50 Bengaluru pilgrims stuck in Saudi Arabia
- Ill-fitting jerseys disrupt India focus ahead of women’s Asian Cup
- Triple murder in Karnataka: How a ringtone exposed son’s gruesome plot against his family; killed parents and sister with axe blade
- Flight reroutes due to Iran-Israel conflict send airfares soaring in India
- Trichy–Tambaram intercity train begins service amid celebrations
end of article
Trending Stories
- US-Israel-Iran War Live Updates: Iran launches 'massive missile' strike at US airbase in Bahrain; Israel bombs Beirut
- Chandra Grahan Time Today: When and where to see Lunar Eclipse, visibility in India, and safety tips on how to watch it
- She votes for herself, becomes mayor and approves her own liquor licence: Inside America’s town of one
04:18 '20 hours, 1 sandwich, 2 water bottles': Flyers vent it out on social media after over 100 flights to and from Delhi cancelled- Trichy–Tambaram intercity train begins service amid celebrations
- AP SSC hall tickets 2026 released on bse.ap.gov.in; download class 10 admit cards here
10:17 Depart now': US urges Americans to leave over a dozen Middle East countries
Featured in city
- ‘We heard missile over hotel’: 310 travellers from Abu Dhabi land in Delhi amid Gulf crisis, families break down at IGI
03:35 ‘Killer’ son wrote Ramlila scripts, played Parashuram and Ravan; cops reveal how he plotted ‘perfect’ cover-up after killing father in Lucknow- 'A fatal peg': Bengaluru actor, her lover rope in aide, then tape live-in partner’s mouth and stab him to death
- At least 6 killed after van collides with double-decker bus in Hathras; several injured
- First-year PG medical student found hanging in Ahmedabad college hostel
- Blank cheques, threats and humiliation: Couple, son die by suicide in Hyderabad; 4 arrested
Photostories
- South Delhi’s costliest streets: Where homes are valued in hundreds of crores
- From Cyrus Poonawala to Radhakishan Damani; 5 Indian billionaires who own private residences in South Mumbai
- World Wildlife Day 2026: Wildlife parks and reserves in India known for medicinal and aromatic plants
- Birds are more brutal than one can imagine: 5 gruesome ways they kill their prey
- 3:3 Total Lunar Eclipse: Timings in India, spiritual meaning and 6 things to do tonight instead of scrolling before bed
- Baroda House in Lutyens’ Delhi: Where royal heritage meets strategic real estate
- Baby names inspired by confidence and courage
- 4 easy thandai recipes to make at home this Holi
- 7 indoor plants perfect for small spaces
- 5 silver jewellery investments every woman needs right now
Videos
07:24 'There Were Explosion Near Hotel': Indians Recount Horror As Stranded Passengers Return To India03:34 'No Hindu Refugee Will Lose Citizenship': Amit Shah Slams Mamata Banerjee In Bengal Rally10:41 US-Israel-Iran War: Why Has India Not Condemned Khamenei's Death Yet?05:55 TMC Calls Out BJP on Fiscal Fairness and State Autonomy: 'YOU ARE TAKING TAXES FROM BENGAL…’04:03 PM Modi Speaks To Saudi Crown Prince And Bahrain King, Condemns Iranian Attacks08:15 Mamata Banerjee Vows Bengal Poll Win Despite Voter Deletions, Abhishek Claims BJP Won't Pass 50 Seats05:32 US-ISRAEL-IRAN WAR: How Will It Impact India's Oil, Trade & Air Travel| EXPLAINED04:13 ‘Not for the People’: Shah Accuses Mamata of Pushing Dynasty Politics03:34 Still Reeling From India's Strikes, Pakistan's Nur Khan Air Base Hit Again By Taliban Drones
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment