Illegal parking on Delhi-Mumbai Expressway triggers enforcement action

Illegal parking on Delhi-Mumbai Expressway triggers enforcement action
During an inspection, the Nuh SP found several vehicles parked illegally on the shoulders and issued on-the-spot directions for immediate removal
Gurgaon: The district administration is bracing up to launch a full-scale drive against illegal parking along Delhi-Mumbai Expressway.The crackdown against illegal parking — identified as one of the biggest triggers of fatal accidents — is coming after the administration demolished dozens of unauthorised dhabas, puncture shops and temporary structures on the high-speed corridor.The renewed focus comes in the wake of repeated instances of trucks and heavy commercial vehicles halting on the highway shoulders, despite a complete ban on stopping and parking on access-controlled expressways. Officials say such violations severely reduce reaction time for oncoming vehicles, often resulting in deadly multivehicle collisions.Authorities say illegal parking remains the biggest unresolved danger on Delhi-Mumbai Expressway. A recent deadly crash on the Kundli-Manesar-Palwal Expressway — where five people, including four UP Police personnel, were killed — brought the issue into sharper focus. Preliminary investigation suggested that a parked vehicle on the roadside was a contributing factor in the tragedy.Nuh SP Arpit Jain on Monday inspected the entire stretch of the expressway falling under the district, beginning from Nuh Sadar police station limits up to the Firozpur Jhirka border.
Accompanied by station house officers, road safety officials and district-level agencies, he reviewed illegal parking spots, roadside activity and existing safety measures.During the inspection, Jain found several vehicles parked illegally on the shoulders and issued on-the-spot directions for immediate removal. “No unauthorised parking will be allowed anywhere on the expressway and maintaining seamless traffic flow is a top priority of the administration,” the SP said.Police officials said complaints had been pouring in for months about truckers stopping their vehicles along the route, increasing the likelihood of crashes. Temporary dhabas and roadside shops often created congested pockets where heavy vehicles parked haphazardly, disrupting high-speed traffic.The problem was underscored on Saturday itself, when two accidents were reported in separate parts of the corridor. The route has already been flagged as accident-prone in the district due to frequent high-impact collisions.Earlier this week, the administration launched a major demolition drive along the expressway to clear illegal structures that were encouraging unsafe stoppages. Starting from Nuh Sadar on Thursday, teams of police and enforcement officials removed unauthorised dhabas, hotels, puncture shops and makeshift shelters. The campaign extended through Rozka Meo, Pinangwan, Nuh, Nagina and Firozpur Jhirka.Officials said roadside eateries and shops had become hubs for truckers and commercial drivers to halt their vehicles, creating long queues on the shoulder and increasing accident risks. With vehicles passing at high speeds, even a momentary obstruction can lead to catastrophic collisions.

author
About the AuthorBagish Jha

Bagish Jha is an Assistant Editor with The Times of India. Since 2015, he has been covering infrastructure, governance, administration, judiciary, taxation, and public issues, with a strong focus on South Haryana. His journalistic journey began in Nagpur, and prior to his current role in the National Capital Region, he reported extensively from Indore and across Madhya Pradesh. An alumnus of Nagpur University, Jha’s reporting consistently highlights systemic irregularities and gaps in government policies, with a particular focus on their impact on citizens. Through his work, he continues to serve as a vital link between policy and people, striving to make governance more transparent and accountable.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media