Water contamination kills 7: Crowned cleanest city 8 times, Indore now faces tap-water crisis
INDORE: India’s cleanest city for the eighth time in a row, Indore is grappling with a severe civic crisis after contaminated drinking water triggered a diarrhoea and vomiting outbreak in the Bhagirathpura area, claiming at least seven lives and leaving more than 1,100 people ill.
Indore Municipal Corporation (IMC) commissioner Dilip Kumar Yadav said a leakage was detected in the main water supply pipeline in Bhagirathpura, above which a toilet had been constructed, leading to possible contamination of drinking water.
According to IMC officials, waste from the toilet was channelled into a pit directly above the water line, and a loose joint in the pipeline may have allowed sewage to mix with potable water.
Mayor Pushyamitra Bhargava told news agency PTI that seven deaths had been reported within a week after residents of Bhagirathpura fell sick due to contaminated water. Officials said over the past week, more than 1,100 people were affected by the outbreak, with 111 requiring hospitalisation.
Madhya Pradesh minister Kailash Vijayvargiya on Wednesday acknowledged lapses by officials in the incident and said action would be taken against those found responsible, irrespective of their rank.
Bhagirathpura falls under the Indore-1 assembly constituency, which Vijayvargiya represents as the minister for urban development and housing.
Responding to questions on the incident, Vijayvargiya said, "I feel that a mistake has been committed, but it is better if we first ensure that all patients recover and create a positive environment rather than discuss this now." He asserted that no official involved would be spared, even if they held a very senior position.
As part of the emergency response, four ambulances and dedicated medical teams were deployed in Bhagirathpura. Separate wards were set up at the government-run Maharaja Yashwantrao Hospital and the private Shri Aurobindo Institute of Medical Sciences.
Private hospitals in the area were informed that the state government would bear the full cost of treatment for all patients.
Chief minister Mohan Yadav, who visited hospitals in Indore and reviewed the situation in a high-level meeting, described the outbreak as an “emergency-like situation”. He said coordinated efforts by the administration ensured timely treatment for many patients.
Yadav said around 40,000 people in Bhagirathpura were screened, with 2,456 suspected cases identified. Of the 212 patients hospitalised, 50 were discharged after recovery, while 162 remained admitted, most of them stable.
“The state government will not tolerate any negligence. We are prepared to take the strictest possible action against those responsible for the incident. I have directed officials to properly examine complaints related to leakages in drinking water and sewer lines in all areas of the city and make necessary arrangements to prevent such incidents in future,” Yadav said.
The chief minister also announced Rs 2 lakh financial assistance for the families of each deceased and ordered free treatment for all patients. IMC has begun flushing the affected water pipelines and is supplying drinking water through tankers, while ASHA workers have been deployed for door-to-door surveys to identify new cases.
As authorities struggled to reconcile figures of the ill and deceased, the Indore bench of the Madhya Pradesh high court on Wednesday directed the state government and the municipal corporation to collate data and submit a detailed status report by January 2. The court also ordered the immediate supply of clean drinking water and the best possible medical care to affected residents.Get the latest lifestyle updates on Times of India, along with Happy New Year wishes, messages, and quotes !
According to IMC officials, waste from the toilet was channelled into a pit directly above the water line, and a loose joint in the pipeline may have allowed sewage to mix with potable water.
Mayor Pushyamitra Bhargava told news agency PTI that seven deaths had been reported within a week after residents of Bhagirathpura fell sick due to contaminated water. Officials said over the past week, more than 1,100 people were affected by the outbreak, with 111 requiring hospitalisation.
Madhya Pradesh minister Kailash Vijayvargiya on Wednesday acknowledged lapses by officials in the incident and said action would be taken against those found responsible, irrespective of their rank.
Bhagirathpura falls under the Indore-1 assembly constituency, which Vijayvargiya represents as the minister for urban development and housing.
As part of the emergency response, four ambulances and dedicated medical teams were deployed in Bhagirathpura. Separate wards were set up at the government-run Maharaja Yashwantrao Hospital and the private Shri Aurobindo Institute of Medical Sciences.
Private hospitals in the area were informed that the state government would bear the full cost of treatment for all patients.
Chief minister Mohan Yadav, who visited hospitals in Indore and reviewed the situation in a high-level meeting, described the outbreak as an “emergency-like situation”. He said coordinated efforts by the administration ensured timely treatment for many patients.
Yadav said around 40,000 people in Bhagirathpura were screened, with 2,456 suspected cases identified. Of the 212 patients hospitalised, 50 were discharged after recovery, while 162 remained admitted, most of them stable.
“The state government will not tolerate any negligence. We are prepared to take the strictest possible action against those responsible for the incident. I have directed officials to properly examine complaints related to leakages in drinking water and sewer lines in all areas of the city and make necessary arrangements to prevent such incidents in future,” Yadav said.
The chief minister also announced Rs 2 lakh financial assistance for the families of each deceased and ordered free treatment for all patients. IMC has begun flushing the affected water pipelines and is supplying drinking water through tankers, while ASHA workers have been deployed for door-to-door surveys to identify new cases.
As authorities struggled to reconcile figures of the ill and deceased, the Indore bench of the Madhya Pradesh high court on Wednesday directed the state government and the municipal corporation to collate data and submit a detailed status report by January 2. The court also ordered the immediate supply of clean drinking water and the best possible medical care to affected residents.Get the latest lifestyle updates on Times of India, along with Happy New Year wishes, messages, and quotes !
Top Comment
R
Rinku Singh
1 hour ago
Quadruple engine ki Sarkar! Viksit Bharat.Read allPost comment
Popular from City
- Gig workers' stir: Riders say accidents, shrinking payouts drove strike call; restaurants bypassed apps to deliver orders
- ‘We can’t indulge in idol worship’: Actor Nushrratt Bharuccha’s Mahakal temple visit sparks row; fatwa issued by Muslim leader
- Faridabad gang rape: How clash with mother spiraled into night of horror for Gurgaon woman; hurled from van at 90kmph
- Mumbai receives surprise morning showers on 1st day of 2026
- Water contamination kills 7: Crowned cleanest city 8 times, Indore now faces tap-water crisis
end of article
Trending Stories
- Gig workers' stir: Riders say accidents, shrinking payouts drove strike call; restaurants bypassed apps to deliver orders
- Zack Wheeler and Dominique Wheeler combined net worth in 2025: A closer look at the Philadelphia Phillies star's earnings, salary, family life and more
05:58 'I'm in Dubai,' says Hadi killing suspect Dhaka accused India of sheltering- Sophie Cunningham vs Angel Reese Net Worth 2025: Exploring career earnings, brand endorsements and more of WNBA athletes
- Will Saudi Arabia succeed in turning its vast desert landscape green by planting 10 billion trees?
- NBA update: Anthony Davis to Dallas Mavericks? Trade buzz heats up as Mavs test the market while Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks weigh risky options
- Smelling of liquor, AI pilot detained at Vancouver airport on X'mas eve before operating Delhi flight
Featured in city
- Delhi vehicle sales hit record 8.2L in 2025: Surge in private two- and four-wheelers exposes public transport gaps, pollution risk
- Gurgaon–Faridabad road horror: Woman gang-raped after leaving home post-argument with mother; thrown from van at 90 kmph
- Kargil hero in Bengal voter drive: Ex-soldier queues up to reclaim voting rights after SIR gap
- Traffic curbs to stay on New Year Day: NH-44, central & south Delhi roads affected; commuters urged to plan
- Indore water contamination deaths: Minister Kailash Vijayvargiya 'admits mistake’; 7 dead, over 1,100 ill
- New Year, same air: Delhi starts 2026 with ‘very poor’ AQI at 372; Anand Vihar worst hit
Photostories
- 10 signs you are raising an intelligent child
- Partied hard for the New Year 2026? 5 fruits that may help with hangovers
- What kids hear vs What parents mean: Fixing everyday communication gaps
- Minimalist baby names for today’s parents
- 8 objects used in homes that are the dirtiest and how to clean and disinfect them
- ‘Paatal Lok’, ‘Panchayat’, ‘The Family Man’: How 2025 became the year Indian OTT finally learned to get franchises right
- From boardrooms to weddings: 5 global luxury brands Indian men are wearing right now
- What 2025 taught us about health: The biggest lessons of the year
- 10 best New Year traditions to celebrate the start of 2026
- Food poisoning vs. gastrointestinal infection: What’s the difference?
Videos
07:59 Midnight To Morning: How India Rang In 2026 With Fireworks Prayers Music And Mass Celebrations08:19 Khaleda Zia’s funeral: EAM Jaishankar Hands Over Modi’s Letter To BNP Chief Tarique Rahman In Dhaka09:46 Throwback 25: Five Indian Weapons That Crushed Terror And Dominated Pakistan in Operation Sindoor13:34 Terror, Tariffs, Polls: PM Modi’s Mic-Drop Moments That Set The Agenda In 202511:44 Top Moments Of 2025 When Indian Diplomats Took On Pakistan, Tore Apart Lies & Hypocrisy At UN08:26 Throwback 2025: Five Big Moments When India Defied Pressure And Delivered Diplomatic Masterstrokes07:39 Ayodhya Faced Conspiracies But Sanatan Prevailed, UP CM Yogi Adityanath Says At Ram Temple Event06:17 India’s Backyard In Flux: Nepal's Gen Z Revolt To Pakistan's Court Chaos Shakes South Asia In 202503:38 Army Trains Village Defence Guards In J&K In Automatic Rifles, Self-Defence | Watch
Up Next