16 arrested for rioting & stone pelting during demolition drive in Mumbai’s Bandra East

16 arrested for rioting & stone pelting during demolition drive in Mumbai’s Bandra East
The demolition site in Bandra East
Mumbai: Nirmal Nagar police have arrested 16 people for alleged rioting and stone pelting during a demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East, in which at least five police personnel suffered severe injuries, including constable Jitendra Singh who suffered a fracture on his hand and another constable who suffered a broken nose after paver blocks and stones were hurled at them during a protest by at least 150 people on Wednesday, said police.The 16 were nabbed from the spot and were produced before the Bandra court on Thursday. They were booked under Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita sections for rioting, unlawful assembly, assault and objecting govt servant from performing their duty. The Bandra court has remanded them to police custody till May 26.The arrests were based on a complaint filed by Railway Protection Force (RPF) assistant inspector Dharmendra Singh (50). “At 4.30pm, nearly 100 to 150 people from Garib Nagar gathered at the spot and started raising slogans demanding that the demolition be stopped. Police officials repeatedly instructed the crowd through a megaphone to vacate the area. Despite the warnings, the crowd allegedly became aggressive,” said Singh in the FIR.Police officials warned the crowd that force would be used if they failed to disperse. However, the mob allegedly began pelting stones, cement blocks, and paver blocks at police personnel and railway officials. The police then resorted to lathi-charge to disperse the crowd, and a few people were detained.
In the stone-pelting and cement and paver block attack, more than five police personnel suffered injuries while another 10 police officers suffered minor bruises.An officer said a total of 500-plus cops, including 50 officers from Mumbai police and Govt Railway Police, were deployed at the demolition site on Wednesday. Police bandobast continued for the second day.Nirmal Nagar police said the situation was under control today. Civic and railway officials were in the process of clearing debris from the demolition site.On Thursday, police and RPF personnel chased away a few individuals who attempted to create trouble on the third day of the demolition drive at Garib Nagar slum in Bandra East. Debris removal continued almost through the day and the situation remained largely under control, said Western Railway officials.WR chief spokesperson Vineet Abhishek said there was no major law and order issue at the site on Thursday, a day after the operation saw stone pelting and injuries. He added that more than 85% of the demolition work had been completed. Abhishek said around 500 hutments had been identified for demolition. Nearly 100 structures that were found eligible for rehabilitation or alternate accommodation were not touched, he said.The ongoing drive aims to reclaim around 5,200 square metres of railway land, estimated to be worth about Rs 600 crore. Officials said the encroachment expanded perilously close to active railway infrastructure, including Harbour line tracks and overhead electric equipment masts, posing operational and safety risks.WR officials said the reclaimed land is expected to be used for major railway infrastructure expansion around Bandra station. Once the demolitions is completed, the area would be barricaded and handed over for project work, said Abhishek. He indicated that the land would support integrated development for suburban and long-distance train operations at Bandra as part of Mumbai’s capacity augmentation projects.The Railways arranged for water and refreshments for several police, RPF and other personnel involved with the demolition work.Abhishek said overnight, 300 staff were deputed, including 250 security personnel and 50 workers for post-demolition clearing. He added that two more unauthorised structures at nearby Bandra Terminus were also demolished on Thursday. The operation was carried out using 13 machines, including JCBs, Poclain equipment and gas cutters, along with manual breaking. Calling it a sensitive issue with a human angle, Abhishek said precautions were taken and 2,000 water bottles were distributed over two days.

author
About the AuthorSomit Sen

Somit Sen, Senior Editor at The Times of India, Mumbai. He covers stories on Power beat in Maharashtra and on Oil & Gas. He also covers RTO, BEST (Mumbai’s public transport buses), transport ministry, Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation, interstate transport (trucks/tempos) and the fleetcabs.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media