Unsafe school vans, autos to be taken off streets in E Singhbhum after summer break

Unsafe school vans, autos to be taken off streets in E Singhbhum after summer break
As part of the bandh, the auto and van drivers will not pick or drop the kids for their schools.
Jamshedpur: East Singhbhum district administration will soon remove old and decrepit school pick-up vans and auto-rickshaws from the roads as part of a drive to curb rising road accidents.Deputy commissioner Rajiv Ranjan has asked officials of the transport department and traffic personnel to crackdwon on against such vehicles in a bid to ensure safety of schoolchildren.“Launch the drive soon after the schools reopen after summer vacations. The safety of children is of top priority,” DC said while chairing a road safety meeting on Monday. Officials said the drive will begin in the second week of June when schools reopen. Auto-rickshaws and vans operating without authorised permission, along with pick-up vehicles running without fitness certificates, will be seized.The administration will also act against overloading in pick-up vans and passenger auto-rickshaws. Vehicles, including two-wheelers, found violating speed limits or jumping traffic signals will face penalties.Ranjan also asked officials to identify accident-prone spots on National Highways, state highways and city roads and take corrective measures.
He directed installation of crash barriers, slide barriers, rumble strips and radium indicators wherever required, besides repairing damaged street lights.The DC said black spots would be identified and corrective steps taken to reduce crashes. He also asked traffic police to intensify helmet and seat-belt checks.“We need to conduct traffic safety rules awareness campaigns more effectively in schools and colleges to inculcate discipline among the youths towards the traffic rules,” Ranjan said.The crackdown follows alarming accident figures. Between January and April this year, 97 people died and 91 suffered critical injuries in more than 80 road accidents in the district. In April alone, 24 people died and 23 were grievously injured in 31 accidents.Earlier in 2025, 173 people were killed in 273 road accidents. Of them, 100 died because they were either not wearing helmets or seat belts.

author
About the AuthorB Sridhar

Based in Jamshedpur, he covers entire Kolhan region having three districts namely East Singhbhum, West Singhbhum and Seraikela-Kharsawan reporting on topics such as left wing extremism, city life, urban policies and issues among other wide ranging topics.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media