A major legal challenge has reached the
Supreme Court against the Central Board of Secondary Education’s (CBSE) decision to make a third language compulsory for students of Classes 9 and 10 from the 2026-27 academic session. According to a report by Live Law, a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed by parents and teachers from several cities has questioned both the timing and implementation of the new language policy
The matter was mentioned before Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, who agreed to list the petition next week after Senior Advocate Mukul Rohatgi sought an urgent hearing.
During the mentioning, Rohatgi argued that the new policy could severely disrupt students’ academic preparation. As reported by Live Law, he told the court that students studying in Class 9 cannot suddenly be expected to pick up a new language and then appear for examinations in Class 10 within such a short period. He warned that the move would create “chaos” for students, schools and parents.
Parents and teachers from four cities move court
The petition has been filed under Article 32 of the Constitution by 19 petitioners, including parents and teachers from Delhi, Gurugram, Noida and Chennai. The respondents in the case are the Union government, the CBSE and the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
At the centre of the dispute is CBSE Circular No. Acad-33/2026 issued on May 15, 2026. The circular states that from July 1, 2026, Class 9 students will have to study three languages, identified as R1, R2 and R3, with at least two of them being native Indian languages.
Under the policy, students who wish to study foreign languages such as French or German can do so only as a third language if the first two are Indian languages.
Otherwise, the foreign language can only be taken as an additional fourth subject.
Petition says CBSE changed its stand abruptly
The petitioners have argued that the circular directly contradicts an earlier CBSE communication issued on April 9, 2026. According to the plea, CBSE had earlier clarified that the compulsory third-language requirement for Class 9 students would not be implemented until the 2029-30 academic session.
The petition claims that schools and families planned the academic year based on that assurance. It argues that the sudden reversal, just weeks before implementation, has left students and institutions confused.
The plea further states that many students have already spent years studying foreign languages and would now be forced to abruptly switch to another language stream midway through their schooling.
Questions raised over teachers and textbooks
One of the central arguments in the petition concerns the lack of infrastructure for implementing the policy. The petitioners have alleged that the circular itself acknowledges shortages of trained teachers and textbooks. According to the plea, CBSE has allowed temporary arrangements such as assigning teachers from other subjects who have “functional proficiency” in a language and using Class 6 textbooks with additional local material for Class 9 students.
The petition argues that such measures expose the lack of preparedness behind the rollout. Invoking Article 14 of the Constitution, the plea claims the policy is “manifestly arbitrary.” It also cites Article 21A, arguing that meaningful education cannot be ensured merely by imposing a compulsory subject without proper teaching infrastructure and academic planning.
Plea cites NEP 2020, warns of stress on students
The petitioners have also relied on the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, arguing that the policy framework emphasises flexibility and clearly states that no language should be imposed on students or states.
The plea further claims that the revised mandate goes against the National Curriculum Framework for School Education 2023 and contradicts CBSE’s own earlier notifications regarding phased implementation.
Another concern raised before the court is the academic stress that may be caused to students already studying foreign languages. The petition argues that forcing them to change subjects at the secondary level could disrupt continuity and create unnecessary pressure during board examination years.
Foreign language teachers may also be affected
The plea additionally invokes Article 19(1)(g), arguing that teachers and institutions involved in foreign language education could face professional losses if foreign languages are pushed out of the mainstream three-language system.
The petition cites media reports and representations from parents claiming that confusion has already begun spreading among schools. One communication referred to in the plea reportedly offered Hindi, Sanskrit and French as language choices for Grade 9 under the revised structure.
The petitioners have sought cancellation of the May 15 CBSE circular and restoration of the earlier April 9 position that deferred compulsory implementation for Class 9 students until 2029-30. They have also sought interim relief to prevent the policy from being enforced on existing students while the matter remains pending before the Supreme Court.