'Can't bash China': Amid Salman Khan's ‘Maatrubhumi' uncertainty, another Galwan-based film reportedly gets shelved

'Can't bash China': Amid Salman Khan's ‘Maatrubhumi' uncertainty, another Galwan-based film reportedly gets shelved
Salman Khan's much-anticipated war film 'Maatrubhumi: May War Rest in Peace' continues to remain in release limbo, and it is not alone. Now, films built around the 2020 Indo-China Galwan Valley clash are running into serious roadblocks, with government directives and diplomatic sensitivities making it increasingly difficult to bring these stories to the screen. While 'Maatrubhumi' struggles to find a release date, another project on the same subject has been put on hold entirely.Another project reportedly shelved amid Salman Khan film speculationAccording to a report by Mid-day, producer Himalay Dassani, husband of actress Bhagyashree, had been developing 'The Lion of Galwan' alongside his son, actor Abhimanyu Dassani. The film was to be based on the life of Vir Chakra awardee Sepoy Gurtej Singh, martyred during the Galwan Valley clash. The project has now been shelved indefinitely.Himalay Dassani explained the bind filmmakers find themselves in when attempting to tell the story of Galwan. He said, "The India-China relationship is much better today. So, we will have to revisit the story idea. After we complete the script, we will have to submit it to the Ministry of Defence of India before we begin shooting. Also, we have received a directive from them that there cannot be China-bashing.
So, we need to revisit that angle."He went further, spelling out the creative dead end this creates, and said, "If we are not going to get clearance from the Defence Ministry, there will be no point in telling the story of the Galwan battle as we can't show the correct angle. If the fight and the reasons behind the clash are non-existent, what is the use of making a movie on it? So, we have kept it on the backburner."Where Does Maatrubhumi Stand Now?Originally titled Battle of Galwan and officially renamed on March 16, 'Maatrubhumi: May War Rest in Peace' had been targeting an April 17 release before it was postponed. Reports now suggest the film is eyeing an August 14 release. Directed by Apoorva Lakhia, the film stars Salman Khan as Colonel Bikkumalla Santosh Babu, who was martyred along with 19 soldiers of the 16 Bihar Regiment during the clash.Salman Khan loses cool at paparazziAdding to the film's turbulent journey, Salman Khan recently made headlines after snapping at media personnel outside a hospital, where he had gone to visit a friend. He later vented on Instagram, writing, "If I see any press at a hospital enjoying my pain. The press that I have stood for, interacted with, taken care of, made sure that they also earn their bread and butter. But if they wanna make money from my losses… keep quiet, don't enjoy. Bhai bhai bhai, matrabhumi picture ki maa ki aankh, pic imp hai ya life."On the other hand, Salman Khan will next feature in Vamshi Paidipally's film co-starring Nayanthara.

author
About the AuthorTOI Entertainment Desk

The TOI Entertainment Desk is a dynamic and dedicated team of journalists, working tirelessly to bring the pulse of the entertainment world straight to the readers of The Times of India. No red carpet goes unrolled, no stage goes dark - our team spans the globe, bringing you the latest scoops and insider insights from Bollywood to Hollywood, and every entertainment hotspot in between. We don't just report; we tell tales of stardom and stories untold. Whether it's the rise of a new sensation or the seasoned journey of an industry veteran, the TOI Entertainment Desk is your front-row seat to the fascinating narratives that shape the entertainment landscape. Beyond the breaking news, we present a celebration of culture. We explore the intersections of entertainment with society, politics, and everyday life.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media