• News
  • India News
  • 'Dangerous escalation': India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility

'Dangerous escalation': India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility

'Dangerous escalation': India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility
NEW DELHI: Ministry of external affairs on Monday expressed deep concern after Iranian drones targeted the Barakah nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, calling the attack a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in the Gulf.“India is deeply concerned at the attack targeting the Barakah nuclear facility in the UAE. Such actions are unacceptable and represent a dangerous escalation. We urgently call for restraint and a return to dialogue and diplomacy,” the ministry of external affairs said in a statement.Also read: Drone attack sparks fire at nuclear plant in UAEThe reaction came after a drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. Emirati authorities said the strike hit an electrical generator outside the plant’s inner perimeter, though there were no injuries or radiological leaks. Officials confirmed that safety systems remained intact and that all units were operating normally.The attack has intensified concerns over the fragile ceasefire between Iran, Israel and the United States, with diplomatic efforts appearing increasingly strained. The UAE accused those behind the strike of carrying out an “unprovoked terrorist attack” and warned it would not tolerate threats to its sovereignty.
“These attacks constitute a dangerous escalation, an unacceptable act of aggression and a direct threat to the country's security,” the UAE foreign ministry said.The International Atomic Energy Agency said emergency diesel generators were supplying power to one of the reactors after the strike sparked a fire near the facility. The UN nuclear watchdog urged “maximum military restraint” around nuclear sites and said it was closely monitoring developments.The UAE defence ministry said three drones had crossed into its airspace from the western border with Saudi Arabia, adding that two were intercepted before reaching their targets. Authorities have not officially blamed any country, though the UAE has previously accused Iran and allied groups of targeting energy infrastructure in the Gulf during the ongoing conflict.The $20 billion Barakah plant, built with South Korean assistance and operational since 2020, is the Arab world’s only nuclear power station and supplies roughly a quarter of the UAE’s electricity needs.The latest strike comes as rhetoric between Tehran, Washington and Tel Aviv continues to escalate. US President Donald Trump warned Iran that “the clock is ticking”, while Iranian officials insisted their forces remained prepared despite diplomatic channels remaining open.

author
About the AuthorTOI News Desk

The TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most."

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media