Bondi beach attack: Shooters inspired by IS, under went military style training — What cops revealed
Australian authorities have said the mass shooting that killed 15 people at a Hanukkah celebration at Sydney’s Bondi Beach was a terrorist attack inspired by Islamic State ideology, carried out by a father and son originally from Hyderabad.
Telangana Police later confirmed that Sajid Akram (father), one of the accused in the Bondi Beach attack, was originally from Hyderabad, correcting earlier reports that had described the attackers as being of Pakistani origin.
Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett confirmed on Tuesday that investigators now believe the attack was ideologically motivated, following the recovery of Islamic State-linked material and improvised explosive devices. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the assessment was based on evidence seized during the investigation, including flags and online material connected to the extremist group.
The victims ranged in age from 10 to 87 and included a British-born rabbi, a Holocaust survivor, a retired police officer and a 10-year-old girl. Twenty-five people remain in hospital, several in critical condition, including children.
The suspects were identified as Sajid Akram, 50, who was shot dead by police at the scene, and his son Naveed Akram, 24, who remains under guard in hospital. Authorities say the pair deliberately targeted Jewish attendees in what was intended to be a mass-casualty attack.
Also read: Shooter spoke to mother hours before Bondi beach attack
Albanese said the gunmen appeared to have been radicalised by “an ideology of hate” aligned with Islamic State. Investigators found two homemade IS flags draped over a vehicle used in the attack, along with improvised explosive devices.
Australian intelligence agency ASIO had previously investigated Naveed Akram in 2019 over associations with individuals linked to a Sydney-based pro-IS network. He was interviewed, along with family members, but was not assessed as posing an imminent threat at the time. Authorities insist there was no intelligence failure and that neither man was on a terrorism watchlist before the attack.
Sajid Akram legally owned six firearms and held a licence for recreational hunting. Several of those weapons were taken to Bondi Beach. The revelations have renewed scrutiny of gun licensing, with Albanese and state leaders pledging the most significant tightening of Australia’s gun laws since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.
Investigators are also examining a trip the pair took to the Philippines in November, weeks before the attack. Philippine immigration authorities confirmed that Sajid Akram travelled on an Indian passport, while his son used an Australian passport. Both declared the southern city of Davao as their destination.
Australian security sources cited by ABC Australia, said the men may have undergone “military-style training” during their visit, though Philippine authorities have said there is no immediate confirmation of such activity. Islamist militant groups have previously operated in parts of southern Mindanao, although officials say their capabilities have been significantly degraded in recent years.
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said no security alert was triggered by the trip and that the purpose of the visit remains under investigation. Counter-terrorism officers later searched a short-term rental in Sydney where the men had been staying and recovered additional firearms.
Several civilians were praised for intervening during the attack. Ahmed al Ahmed, a Syrian-born shop owner, was filmed tackling and disarming one gunman before being shot multiple times. Albanese visited him in hospital, calling him “a true Australian hero”.
Bondi Beach lifeguards also rushed towards the gunfire to assist victims, while police officers were wounded confronting the attackers.
Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett confirmed on Tuesday that investigators now believe the attack was ideologically motivated, following the recovery of Islamic State-linked material and improvised explosive devices. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the assessment was based on evidence seized during the investigation, including flags and online material connected to the extremist group.
The victims ranged in age from 10 to 87 and included a British-born rabbi, a Holocaust survivor, a retired police officer and a 10-year-old girl. Twenty-five people remain in hospital, several in critical condition, including children.
Suspects, ideology and prior intelligence checks
Also read: Shooter spoke to mother hours before Bondi beach attack
Albanese said the gunmen appeared to have been radicalised by “an ideology of hate” aligned with Islamic State. Investigators found two homemade IS flags draped over a vehicle used in the attack, along with improvised explosive devices.
What happened during Bondi beach attack?
Australian intelligence agency ASIO had previously investigated Naveed Akram in 2019 over associations with individuals linked to a Sydney-based pro-IS network. He was interviewed, along with family members, but was not assessed as posing an imminent threat at the time. Authorities insist there was no intelligence failure and that neither man was on a terrorism watchlist before the attack.
Sajid Akram legally owned six firearms and held a licence for recreational hunting. Several of those weapons were taken to Bondi Beach. The revelations have renewed scrutiny of gun licensing, with Albanese and state leaders pledging the most significant tightening of Australia’s gun laws since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.
Philippines trip and alleged militant training
Investigators are also examining a trip the pair took to the Philippines in November, weeks before the attack. Philippine immigration authorities confirmed that Sajid Akram travelled on an Indian passport, while his son used an Australian passport. Both declared the southern city of Davao as their destination.
Australian security sources cited by ABC Australia, said the men may have undergone “military-style training” during their visit, though Philippine authorities have said there is no immediate confirmation of such activity. Islamist militant groups have previously operated in parts of southern Mindanao, although officials say their capabilities have been significantly degraded in recent years.
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said no security alert was triggered by the trip and that the purpose of the visit remains under investigation. Counter-terrorism officers later searched a short-term rental in Sydney where the men had been staying and recovered additional firearms.
Heroes, mourning and national response
Several civilians were praised for intervening during the attack. Ahmed al Ahmed, a Syrian-born shop owner, was filmed tackling and disarming one gunman before being shot multiple times. Albanese visited him in hospital, calling him “a true Australian hero”.
Bondi Beach lifeguards also rushed towards the gunfire to assist victims, while police officers were wounded confronting the attackers.
Top Comment
B
Bhaskar R
20 days ago
Please note thereâ s a Hyderabad in Sind, Pakistan. Hope the reports did their homework.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- 'Don't play games with Trump': State department warns Iran in Persian post; calls US Prez 'man of action'
- Trump flips Monroe into Donroe: How US plans to reshape the Western Hemisphere — explained
- Delcy Rodriguez sworn in as Venezuela’s interim president following Maduro’s ouster
- Bangladesh crisis: Hindu scribe shot in head, throat slit; latest in spate of minority attacks
- 'I am still president': Venezuela's Maduro pleads not guilty in US court; first appearance after capture
end of article
Trending Stories
- VHT: Shreyas Iyer misses century, falls for 82 runs against Himachal Pradesh
- “You hold a true soul brother”: Conor McGregor’s heartwarming gesture in bone-chilling cold morning wins hearts of fans
- Days after his emotional retirement, John Cena's iconic rival pays tribute to him on WWE RAW Stranger Things episode
- Who is Anfereen Simons’ partner? Exploring Boston Celtics star guard’s love story and everything you need to know about it
- WWE RAW Results & Highlights 5-jan-2026: Stranger Things edition sees CM Punk retain his World title, two new champions crowned, and more
- Alex Pereira’s surprise gift brings his father to tears in touching family moment
- Toronto Blue Jays catcher Alejandro Kirk enjoys time off the field as wife Sofia Castaneda shares a family moment on Instagram
Featured in world
- Ramadan 2026 training tips: Inside the fasting playbook of elite Muslim athletes
- Scientists say a space explosion 13,000 years ago may have changed life on Earth
- UAE visa changes 2026 explained: New categories, sponsorship rules, easier entry for tourists
- Oman announces new fees for citizenship and nationality applications
- Taiwan detects 8 sorties of Chinese PLA aircraft, 7 naval vessels around its territory
- Ceasefire violation: Thailand accuses Cambodia of breaking 10-day truce; 1 Thai soldier wounded in border clash
Photostories
- 7 reasons why parents should avoid labelling children in families
- Why are stepwells a beautiful piece of history? From the oldest to the one which is a UNESCO heritage- 5 iconic stepwells
- 5 foods that become unsafe when reheated
- ‘Shark Tank India’ funniest moments: From hilarious pitches and savage roasts
- Baby boy names inspired by Indian sages
- 6 tasty ways to include avocado in your kid’s diet
- From US to India: 10 countries with the largest gold reserves
- Top gut health foods to add to your diet in 2026
- 5 signs you are emotionally invested more than your partner
- Winter Special: How to make classic Palak Paneer for lunch at home
Videos
10:20 Venezuela Under Attack: 80 Killed, Scores Wounded, Emergency Declared; Caracas Demands 'FREE MADURO'06:30 'End Of NATO': Denmark 'SURRENDERS' Greenland To U.S. As PM Admits Trump Serious About Takeover?06:47 Venezuela Orders Arrests as Maduro Faces U.S. Court & Diaspora Celebrates His Capture10:32 'Stop Bullying, Don't Act Like A Policeman': China Rains Fire On U.S. & Trump Over Maduro Abduction06:57 Venezuela On Edge: Army Shoots Down Drones Over Presidential Palace, Cops Deployed07:30 Minnesota Fraud Hits Tim Walz; Big Confession On Cam As Democrat Pulls Out Of Governor Race10:56 Venezuela Crisis: Gunfire, Explosions Near Presidential Palace In Caracas; Second U.S. Attack Underway?07:06 'Trump Needed No Approval From Cong': House Speaker Mike Johnson Defends U.S. Attack On Venezuela09:16 ‘Americans Must Get Out’: Jeffrey Sachs Confronts U.S. Envoy at UN Over Venezuela & Maduro Capture
Up Next