This story is from May 4, 2024

No funding from Congress, Puri Lok Sabha nominee returns ticket

Sucharita Mohanty withdrew from contesting the Puri Lok Sabha seat due to inadequate financial support from Congress. BJD's Arup Patnaik and BJP's Sambit Patra have filed nominations for the upcoming election.
No funding from Congress, Puri Lok Sabha nominee returns ticket
Photo Credit: Sucharita Mohanty X handle
BHUBANESWAR: In a setback for Congress, its Puri Lok Sabha candidate Sucharita Mohanty has declined to contest, citing little financial support from the cash-strapped party.
While voting will be held for the Puri Lok Sabha seat and seven assembly segments under it on May 25, the deadline for filing of the nomination is May 6. BJD’s Arup Patnaik and BJP’s Sambit Patra have already filed their nomination papers.
1x1 polls
Mohanty had not filed her nomination yet.
“I sent a mail to the party brass on Friday night, conveying my decision not to contest due to zero funding from the party. I have returned the party ticket,” Mohanty said on Saturday.
Recently Mohanty launched a crowdfunding campaign, seeking donations to contest the election. She had shared a UPI QR code on her social media handles, asking for money. Mohanty said she was forced to rope in donors as bank accounts of cash-strapped Congress were already frozen.
“Since I could not raise funds on my own, I appealed to the party to provide me funds. When my efforts didn’t pay off, I declined to contest,” said Mohanty, who had unsuccessfully contested from Puri parliamentary seat in 2014.
author
About the Author
Debabrata Mohapatra

Debabrata Mohapatra is an Assistant Editor at The Times of India, Bhubaneswar. He had been writing for TOI from Puri since 2006 before joining the Bhubaneswar bureau in August 2010. He covers crime, law & order and Congress.

End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA