Rs 1.1k-cr highway linking Nainital & Bilaspur damaged before inauguration, 15-ft cave-in sparks panic

Rs 1.1k-cr highway linking Nainital & Bilaspur damaged before inauguration, 15-ft cave-in sparks panic
The much-awaited Rudrapur Ring Road, hailed as a major infrastructure boost, has come under serious scrutiny after a portion of the newly constructed stretch was damaged following Wednesday’s rainfall in Terai region.
RUDRAPUR: A newly constructed stretch of the Rs 1,100-crore Rudrapur Ring Road caved in after light rainfall of just 6 mm on Wednesday, raising serious concerns over construction quality and accountability in one of the region’s most high-profile infrastructure projects, which is yet to be formally inaugurated. The damage occurred near an overbridge on the stretch connecting the Nainital-Bilaspur highway to Kichha, where a nearly 15-foot section of the road collapsed.The 20.5-km-long, six-lane ring road, being developed by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), was nearing completion and awaiting trial runs. The project is expected to ease traffic congestion in Rudrapur and improve connectivity to key industrial hubs in the Terai region.Though not officially opened, the road had already begun to witness vehicular movement. Eyewitnesses said the sudden subsidence created a hazardous situation, forcing vehicles to slow down abruptly and raising fears of a serious accident. Locals also alleged that instead of initiating proper repairs, officials resorted to a temporary fix by dumping soil and mud on the damaged stretch, drawing criticism.NHAI project director Achal Jindal, when queried, said, “The damage could occur under normal circumstances during rainfall.
This appears to be a rain cut, caused when flowing water erodes the surface layer. There is no need for panic and corrective measures are already underway. The affected portion will be repaired and restored by Friday.”Responding to questions on how a newly built stretch failed to withstand even moderate rainfall, Jindal said he would inspect the site before commenting further. “I am currently out of town but will visit the site shortly and assess the situation in detail to determine the exact cause,” he added.Meanwhile, Congress leader and former MLA Rajkumar Thukral reached the spot and accused authorities of negligence. “This is a Rs 1,100-crore project and such lapses point to serious irregularities. Public safety has been severely compromised,” he said.

author
About the AuthorAakash Ahuja

A seasoned journalist with over two decades of experience in pursuing truth and amplifying voices that matter. Dedicated to illuminating stories with integrity, depth, and impact, while crafting compelling narratives that resonate with readers and inspire meaningful change across society.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media