Nashik civic body plans to tunnel through rock to access Gangapur dam’s deadstock

Nashik civic body plans to tunnel through rock to access Gangapur dam’s deadstock
Nashik: With concerns rising over a possible weak monsoon due to El Niño and the need to secure additional water for the Simhastha Kumbh Mela, the Nashik Municipal Corporation has proposed tapping nearly 600 million cubic feet (mcft) of deadstock water from the Gangapur dam by drilling a tunnel through a large rock formation near the jackwell.The plan has gained urgency as the city prepares for three major Shahi Snan days between Aug and Sept in 2027, when water demand is expected to spike sharply. Civic officials said accessing the untapped deadstock could provide a vital buffer during peak summer months and large religious gatherings, potentially sustaining Nashik's water needs for nearly 40 days.To move the proposal forward, the civic administration has initiated steps for a detailed technical and geological survey. A meeting with the project management consultant was held on Wednesday (April 29) to assess the feasibility of drilling through the rock formation and to study its structural characteristics.Ravindra Dharankar, the superintending engineer of water supply and sewerage management, said the project had earlier been planned for 2025 but was deferred due to an early and extended monsoon. "This year, we are taking concrete steps to access around 600 mcft of deadstock in the Gangapur dam, which remains unusable because of the rock obstruction between the jackwell and the stored water.
We plan to drill a tunnel through this formation," he said.Officials said the exact length and width of the rock barrier will be determined through the detailed survey, following which execution details will be finalised. The actual drilling work is likely to begin in early June, once the dam's water level recedes further.Earlier efforts to tap the deadstock had failed. A proposal floated a few years ago to blast parts of the rock formation was shelved due to safety concerns and potential risks to the dam's structure.The NMC has earmarked Rs 12.5 crore for the project in its budget for the current financial year and has indicated that additional financial provisions will be made if required.The Gangapur dam is Nashik's primary water source, supplying nearly 80% of the city's daily requirement, while Mukane and Darna dams together cater to the remaining 20%. At present, the civic body supplies about 21 mcft of water daily — 15 mcft from Gangapur and 6 mcft from the other two dams.
End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media