Nashik: The
National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Monday continued its interim stay on tree felling in Nashik till June 19, rejecting Nashik Municipal Corporation's (NMC) plea to withdraw the restrictions imposed earlier this month, while allowing the civic body to approach the tribunal for permission in exceptional emergency situations.
The Pune bench of the NGT had on April 7 imposed an interim stay on all tree-cutting activities in the city while hearing a petition filed by city-based environmental activist Manish Baviskar, who challenged the NMC's tree felling linked to development works ahead of the Simhastha Kumbh Mela 2027.
Accordingly, the matter was taken up for hearing on Monday (April 28) before justice Dinesh Kumar Singh and judicial member Sujit Kumar Bajpayee of the NGT's Pune bench, which directed that the interim stay on tree cutting be continued until the next hearing scheduled on June 19.
During the hearing, the NMC sought modification and withdrawal of the interim order. Intervention applications were also filed by an accident-affected person and educationist Ratan Luth, seeking to support the civic body.
However, advocate Shriram Pingle, appearing for Baviskar, opposed the interventions, arguing that the applicants had been introduced to support the municipal corporation and had made misleading submissions.
Accepting the arguments, the tribunal rejected both intervention pleas.
The civic body further requested that the stay be relaxed to allow tree cutting or pruning in emergency situations, citing possible risks to human life due to roadside trees. The tribunal declined to dilute the order, but clarified that the NMC could approach the NGT in specific emergency cases and seek prior permission.
Taking note of allegations that trees were felled even after the April 7 order, the tribunal directed NMC commissioner Manisha Khatri and garden superintendent Vivek Bhadane to file their replies within two weeks.The matter has been posted for further hearing on June 19, 2026.
Garden superintendent Vivek Bhadane said the NMC had sought relaxation of the restrictions. "The civic body would submit its reply to allegations of post-April 7 tree cutting within the stipulated time, terming the claims baseless," he said.