Patna: Rejecting allegations of caste-based targeting by Bihar Police, additional director general (law and order) Sudhanshu Kumar on Friday said neither the police nor criminals had any caste, asserting that action was taken strictly according to law.
Addressing a press conference at the police headquarters, Sudhanshu said Bihar Police had intensified its crackdown on organised crime, communal violence and attacks on law enforcement personnel across the state between Jan and May this year.
“We work according to the law. We are free to retaliate in self-defence,” he said while responding to allegations that police action was being carried out on caste lines.
The ADG said more than 1.34 lakh accused had been arrested across Bihar during the period, while courts convicted over 70,000 people in criminal cases due to timely presentation of witnesses and evidence.
He said police had also identified over 1,400 criminals accused of acquiring property through illegal means. Proceedings for seizure of illegally acquired assets had already started against several accused persons as part of the state-wide drive against organised crime networks.
Highlighting action taken under the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) and the Crime Control Act (CCA), Sudhanshu said preventive measures had been initiated against a large number of people to maintain law and order across the state.
Police also carried out extensive action in major crimes, including murder, robbery, dacoity, kidnapping and cases registered under the SC/ST Act, he added.
According to the ADG, more than 1,100 accused were arrested in cases related to communal violence, attacks on police personnel, mob violence and celebratory firing.
Sudhanshu further said the DGP control room was maintaining strict vigil ahead of sensitive festivals, including Ganga Dussehra and Bakrid.
Directions had been issued to ensure peaceful celebrations across Bihar, while adequate police forces would be deployed in districts wherever necessary, he added.