BHOPAL: In a disturbing development, a businessman from Bhopal's Kolar area allegedly received a death threat from the dreaded Lawrence Bishnoi gang for refusing to pay an extortion amount of Rs 10 crore.
According to the police, the caller, claiming to be Hari Boxer, a notorious member of the Bishnoi gang, which is known to operate across the country and beyond, threatened the businessman, purportedly saying, "Arrange the money, otherwise my men will come and finish you. The same fate that befell Baba Siddiqui will be yours as well."
Acting on the trader's complaint, Kolar police on Friday registered a case against the caller on the basis of the mobile number and an investigation was launched.
Notably, in recent days, businessmen in Indore, Khargone, and Ashok Nagar have also received similar threats in the name of the Lawrence gang. This is the first such case reported in Bhopal. Along with local police, a cyber team was also deployed to trace the mobile number and identify the accused. The businessman, meanwhile, expressed concern over his personal safety requesting immediate police protection.
Police said the caller threatened to kill him if the money wasn't paid.
Initially, the businessman ignored the threat, but after receiving repeated calls and messages, he approached Kolar police station and lodged a complaint.
According to information, the 42-year-old complainant is into multiple businesses, including jewellery, and is also associated with philanthropic work.
A few days ago, on March 18, around 10.30 pm, he received a WhatsApp call from an international number. The caller introduced himself as Harry Boxer from the
Lawrence Bishnoi gang and told the businessman that since he makes substantial money from the gold trade, he should arrange and pay an extortion amount of Rs 10 crore. The businessman hung up, ignoring the threat, and continued with his work. However, on Friday morning, he received multiple calls from the same number demanding money. When he refused to pay, the caller allegedly threatened to kill him.
Threatening audio messages sent
After receiving threats, the businessman approached the Kolar police and lodged a complaint, while also requesting security cover citing threat to life. He informed the sleuths that he had been receiving continuous audio messages of a threatening kind on his mobile phone. Based on the complaint, police registered a case of criminal intimidation against the holder of the mobile number from which the calls were made.
According to reports, all the numbers used to contact the businessman were international. Along with Kolar police, the cyber police team is also involved in the ongoing probe, it was learnt.
Speaking to TOI, ACP Alok Shrivastava said police have registered a case and are searching for the unidentified accused on the basis of the mobile number.