Dehradun: Police on Sunday arrested 10 people for allegedly provoking labourers to stop work and pelting stones during violent protests over wage-related demands in the Selaqui industrial estate near Dehradun.
The arrests came a day after Selaqui police registered an FIR against 500-600 unidentified people, including social media influencers and local political leaders, for allegedly pelting stones at police personnel and nearby factories during Saturday’s unrest.
Dehradun SSP Pramendra Dobal said police received information that some people in labour colonies were inciting workers not to report for duty. “They were also forcibly stopping workers from going to work while threatening violence. Acting immediately on the input, police detained 10 accused who were living in the area and working in factories in Selaqui,” said Dobal.
The accused were identified as Rizwan Ali (25), Kaif (21) and Abhishek Gupta (21), all residents of Lakhimpur Kheri; Vikas (28), Fardeen (20), Samir (20) and Hashim (21), all from Pilibhit; Rohit Semwal (28) from Haridwar; Mohammed Kaif (21) from Shahjahanpur; and Sujan Umar (21) from US Nagar.
“They were also found to be involved in Saturday’s violence, following which they were arrested under BNSS section 170. A probe is on to nab others involved,” Dobal added.
Meanwhile, district magistrate Savin Bansal imposed prohibitory orders under BNSS section 163 in the Selaqui area amid the unrest. The orders, issued by additional district magistrate (administration) Krishna Kumar Mishra, came into immediate effect from Sunday.
Under the restrictions, gatherings of more than five people at public places have been banned, along with carrying weapons, including swords and canes. Rallies, demonstrations, sloganeering and marches without prior permission have also been prohibited.
“It has been found that some anti-social elements were trying to provoke labourers through social media and other platforms. Strict legal action will be taken against anyone found creating unrest or violating the prohibitory orders,” a statement issued by the DM office said.
Earlier on Sunday, members of right-wing organisations staged a protest at Dehradun’s Clock Tower alleging land encroachment and attempts to alter the city’s demography, besides raising allegations of “love jihad”. No FIR was registered in connection with the protest.