NAGPUR: At least 17 people were killed and 18 others were critically injured after a explosion tore through an ammunition manufacturing company in Raulgaon village of Kalmeshwar tehsil, about 25 km from Nagpur city, on Sunday morning, according to initial reports. Many of the victims are women.
The powerful blast, which triggered massive flames, occurred at 6.45 am in the Nonal crimping plant area. The shift had begun at 6 am, with about 35 workers present under two supervisors at the time of the incident.
Nagpur: Commercial Tax Dues, Bjp Leader Death, Idle Industrial Plots and More
The company is major manufacturer of industrial explosives, including materials used for mining and infrastructure projects, such as detonators and explosives cartridges.
Fire brigade teams swiftly reached the spot, while Kalmeshwar police launched immediate rescue operations.
Local ambulances ferried the injured to hospitals in Nagpur city for urgent treatment.
Inspector general of police Sandip Patil, district collector Vipin Itankar and rural police team under SP Harssh A Poddar rushed to the site to oversee relief efforts. "Some casualties have been reported, but exact numbers are yet to be confirmed.
Rescue operations continue, and experts are on the ground," IG Patil stated.
SP Poddar, who was on the spot, stated a probe has already initiated under senior officials. "We are ensuring a technical and scientific probe with all the senior officials present and supervising operations and actions," he said from the blast site.
This incident comes close on the heels of a major fire last year at a nearby factory, raising fresh concerns over safety protocols in the industrial belt.
Authorities have initiated a probe into the cause, even as search and recovery efforts persist amid thick smoke and debris.
The bodies are likely to be shifted to Govt medical college and hospital for postmortem.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences over the loss of lives in the blast at an explosives factory in Nagpur, Maharashtra, and announced an ex gratia payment of Rs 2 lakh each for the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for the injured from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF).
"The explosion at a factory in Nagpur, Maharashtra, is deeply distressing. My condolences to the families of the deceased. I pray for the speedy recovery of the injured. The local administration is assisting those affected," Modi said in a post on X.
"An ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of each deceased. The injured would be given Rs. 50,000," the PM said.