• News
  • Belagavi ex-mayors threaten agitation, call BCC surplus budget ‘misleading’

Belagavi ex-mayors threaten agitation, call BCC surplus budget ‘misleading’

Belagavi ex-mayors threaten agitation, call BCC surplus budget ‘misleading’
Pic: Former mayors, deputy mayors and former corporators of BCC spoke to media on TuesdayBelagavi: Former mayors, deputy mayors and ex-corporators of the Belagavi City Corporation (BCC) on Tuesday warned of launching a mass agitation, accusing the civic administration of being "unconstitutional, anti-development and anti-people."Addressing a press conference, the association led by former MLA Ramesh Kudachi strongly objected to the recently passed surplus budget, calling it misleading and based on faulty calculations. Kudachi alleged that major liabilities were deliberately excluded to present a false financial picture."How can this be called a surplus when Rs 3 crore deposited in the high court as compensation has not been accounted for? Over Rs 80 lakh in pending employee payments is also missing. This is clearly a deficit budget," Kudachi said.He criticised the budget preparation process, stating that earlier, detailed discussions were held over three to four days in the council, while the current process is largely handled by officials. "Former corporators are willing to share their experience if the present council is open to it," he said.The association also alleged irregularities in taxation and utilisation of funds.
Kudachi pointed out that property tax revisions, earlier carried out once every five years, are now being done annually. He accused officials of overstepping their authority, violating norms and misusing State Finance Commission (SFC) grants.He further alleged that the BCC has failed to levy taxes on road restoration works, mobile towers and LED streetlight installations. He also questioned the effectiveness of the city's command and control centre.Rejecting claims of a fund crunch, Kudachi said the corporation lacked political will rather than resources. He alleged that more than 500 BCC-owned sites had been encroached upon or fraudulently sold using fake documents. "If the council is serious, we are ready to provide details to recover these properties," he said.Kudachi also questioned the status of funds contributed by the BCC nearly 25 years ago for a permanent water supply project. "Why is the corporation seeking fresh funds now when earlier contributions remain unaccounted for?" he asked.Former mayor Nagesh Sateri alleged that council secretaries have no authority to revise property tax, as has allegedly been done. Another former mayor, Shivajirao Sunthakar, urged corporators to prioritise public welfare over personal interests.Former mayors Deepak Waghela, Malojirao Asthekar, Renu Killekar, Netaji Jadhav and Vandana Belagundkar were present.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media